Can't stop this broody hen!

MissClaraCluck

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I have a very stubborn broody buff Orpington hen. I keep moving her off the nest and taking away the eggs, but she goes right back in. I want her to get up and eat because she was a lean bird to begin with and I am afraid she will get too thin. She's pulled out all her feathers on her belly too. I've tried closing up the coop but she lays down by the side of it and won't move. I was just wondering how long these broody periods normally last because I think it just has to run its course. Any other suggestions of what to do?

The best way to break them is to put them in a wire or slatted bottom cage and suspend it with a little food and water.
The idea is to cool their underside.
I've even put ice cubes in their favorite nest.
That or get some fertile eggs for her to sit on.

There is food and water within her reach but she doesn't seem interested. The eggs aren't fertilized so I am trying to be kind to her. She really wants to be a mama I guess. Poor thing. I'll try the separate cage idea. I thought she would be over the broody stage in a couple of days but it has been about a week...

Last edited:
They'll usually stay broody until eggs hatch or they're broken of it. They don't even need eggs to go broody let alone fertile ones.
When broody they come out once a day to defacate, eat and drink. I've never heard of one starving.
ETA
If I'm not hatching eggs, I try to break them right away. The quicker you do it the sooner they'll commence laying.

Last edited:
Miss Clara I am going through the same thing with my Cuckoo Maran. It has been about 3 weeks now (I am humoring her). I just keep removing the eggs and taking her out of the nest box. My next step is to use the slatted bottom cage. Good luck to you!

Block her access to anything she can use as a nest, and wait her out. The normal incubation period is 21 days, and Billina, our most determined broody, usually takes about this long to give up.

Quote:
Ha! The broody stage can last a LOOOOOOONG time. I had one that I tried everything with, - ice cubes, cages, fans, constantly removing from nest, etc. Nothing worked. A friend told me he just lets his sit (removing the eggs daily), and eventually they will snap out of it on their own. This did work, but mine sat for 60 days. She lost some weight, but got up to eat at least once a day on her own. I currently have a leghorn (known for their lack of broodiness) that has been sitting for 70 days now!
roll.png

Good luck with your broody!

Back
Top Bottom