Can't tell if I have 1 or more roosters...help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by meags163, Sep 17, 2009.

1. meags163

meags163 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    connecticut
    I have 5 chickens, 1 leghorn and 4 rhode island reds. The leghorn is definitely a hen as she just started laying white eggs. I know I have at least one rooster from all the crowing that's been going on. I'm afraid though that 3 out of 4 of my RIRs are roosters....I have chickens for the eggs not the crowing. I've attached some pictures that aren't too good but the best I could get. I think the last RIR pictured is a hen, but I can't be sure about the others. Even when I look online at pictures of RIR hens v. roosters, I can barely tell the difference. Can anyone offer any tips on how to tell?

I bought the RIRs when they were pullets, about 8 weeks old. Shouldn't the seller have been able to easily sex them? I will be very unhappy if 3/4 of my purchased "hens" turn out to be roosters!

Sorry the pictures aren't great....most of them come out blurry!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. yodercountrygirl

yodercountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure your pics are kinda small to see clearly. But the way I can tell a roo from a pullett is the legs of a roo are long and go to a slimer body and the pulletts legs are shorter and go to a plumper body, go figure!!!! That is if you can't tell from the wattles and comb!

3. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Hard to tell from the pictures, but I would say that 3 of the RIR are males.

4. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Yeah, I see three roosters...

5. meags163

Jun 9, 2009
    connecticut
    I don't think I can get better pictures b/c I only have the camera on my phone to work with and they aren't very good models!

If 3 of them are in fact roosters, should I call the person I bought them from and ask to trade 2 back for hens? Or is that just the risk you take when you buy chickens? (I think she should have done a better job sexing them since they were about 8 weeks old).

6. meags163

Jun 9, 2009
    connecticut
    The other funny thing is that the leghorn is THE BOSS of the flock. She sleeps on the highest roost every night and I often catch her chasing the others away from the food. We were sure she was the rooster....that is until I found a white egg in the coop!

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

From those pic's I am for sure seeing at least two roo's, last pic is a hen. You might try talking to the person you got them from, see if she will trade back for some hens. With my RIR's I was able to tell who my roo was very early on. He was developing larger, redder comb and wattles way earlier then the girls by the time he was about a month old. I would think that by 8 weeks it should have been evident, but who knows. Can't hurt to give her a call.

8. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Yeah, I would touch base with the seller and see if there is an option to trade. Some will, some wont.

9. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I think I see 2 roo's and the bottom pic is a hen. If she sold them to you as hens, I would talk to her and see if she will do anything for you. She may have a couple of hens that she would be willing to part with.

10. meags163

Jun 9, 2009
    connecticut
    Thanks for your replies everyone....I was pretty sure 3 are roos and your responses just make feel more confident in my judgment. I'll see if I can trade for some hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by