Can't Tell If New Girl Is Eating Enough?!

VyInRI

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
HELP! I have a very small flock right now. We just formally introduced our newest girl, Moonshine, to her flockmates, Banjo and Number Nine on Sunday. When I got Moonie, I was told she was a year old and laying. She's much smaller than my other two, who are less than a year old. Both of those girls are new layers. Moonie has not laid an egg in the couple of months she has been with us. Anyway, she's sleeping in the coop with the girls, and in the run with them full time now, but I have yet to see her eating or drinking from their feeders/waterers. We use the same kind of feeders/waterers in the run as we did in her quarantine. She pecks at the ground all the time and has energy, but I'm concerned about her nourishment habits - only because I'm seeing the other two eat. I put a feeder of crumbles out for her today and she started to it to eat, until Number Nine started eating - now she won't eat from it and has returned to eating from the ground. How do I get her to eat more comfortably? She's definitely low girl in the pecking order, and she is still hesitant around people, and sometimes the other chickens. Am I worrying too much? I did just recently lose my alpha hen, so I'm pretty paranoid about losing another. Any suggestions?

go into the coop tonight after they have roosted and feel her crop. If it is full and large, she is getting plenty. If it is small or empty, then she is not getting enough.

I have an unusually small bantam in with all the chickens temporarily while i finish building the second coop, and she does not get enough. Since i don't free feed, i take her aside and let her eat her fill away from the others.

If you free feed them, then she should be getting enough, but never hurts to check :)

sorry about the loss of your other one, that must have been sad :(

Back
Top Bottom