Can't tell if these are Hens or Toms

You were right, They are both males.
I have 1 female and 3 males. 1 chicken that hangs out with the turkeys because she was not expected with all the chickens ( she's all white) they tried to kill her twice. Our farm is big enough that they all can be out on and stay on their own sides and never see each other. Lol
My hen has had 2 sets of eggs but none has gone to full term. She is now on her 3 try. She laid this batch outside the cage hoping I would stop checking on her all the time. ( I worry about her) lol I do t like leaving them out at night but for the safety of the hen I have been. Thankfully the pen is close to the house and we have a dog but that don't stop everything.
Does anyone have any good experience with letting the hen hatch out her own eggs?

I let my hens hatch one clutch each year but only after I have incubated all the eggs that I want to.

Don't be surprised if your hen does not have any fertile eggs. With three toms and one hen it is very possible that the toms are interfering with each other and preventing the hen from getting bred. You may want to make it so that only one tom has access to your hen.

You can check her eggs for fertility by cracking a few and examining the yolks. If there is a solid white spot on the egg, it is not fertile. If the white spot looks like a bull's eye, it is fertile.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

Good luck.

The last batch had a bunch of babies in them but for some reason she would either kick them out and they would crack or they would roll out of the igloo dog house that she had them in. I put hay in the igloo hut for her and then read about she may be rolling them around and they might be rolling away from her and rolling out and then cracking . I changed her bedding ( big, big mistake) to pine shavings and didn't put her stinky nest back in with her eggs she still had left. She refused to go back in until I put the next back in but by then she didn't care anymore and to much change happened on her nest I think.
The one egg looked like it could of hatched with in a few more days
1f61e.png

Thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom