Can't use my candler that I bought on my button eggs?

smallbluejellybean

Songster
10 Years
Dec 13, 2009
Kings Park NSW Australia
Hi I bought a candler about 5 months for my canary eggs and it worked great and it even works on the chicken eggs in my refridgerator, but I can't see nothing threw my button quail eggs? Is there something else I can use to see what is going on inside. I have a few different lamps around and globes.
Any ideas?
I can see through the light green ones (4 of them) but the rest 16 nothing. I want to see if they are going ok and which ones I should toss out.

Best Tool To Candle Buttons.... Coturnix.... Aricauna...... Many Pheasant Eggs Is To Just Incubate Them And Wait ...... I Beleive There May Be Candler That Are Capable Of Doing The Job On These, But Until I Know For Sure I Am Hesitant To Spend The Money On Them As They Can Be Quite Expensive

I always used a mini mag light. Simply use your finger and thumb in a circle to eliminate escaped light. Some you could tell right away, but my final assessment was generally halfway through the hatch or just before I moved them to the hatcher. Then I removed the obvious duds and kept the maybes and the good ones.

I saw one on Ebay for quail it was over $70.00. I would try to make one or like Betta said use a mag light
smile.png

I use a mini mag light. The new ones come with a rubber cushion on it and in a pitch dark room with good batteies you should be able to see.

I also figured out another way and its works nearly 100% for me, but not way in the begining of the incubation. I Have RC cars and have a little infared thermomiter. Its a small thing, looks like your car alarm remote and what you do is just put it on the egg and push the button.. you will easily know which ones are alive because they will be like 5 degrees warmer. I never saw anyone post this method so I kept it to myself until now. Also you dont need to pick the eggs up. G/L

Quote:
ANY OTHER IDEAS? THIS DOESNT WORK FOR ME AT LEAST.... AND I USED A MUCH MORE POWERFUL LIGHT THAN THE MINI MAG--- THE TYPE OF EGGS IN THIS STRING ARE TOO DARK AND MOTTLED
sad.png

I have a small LED light with a piece of black fleece rubber-banded over the light. There's a hole cut out, about 1/4" in diameter, so the beam is concentrated on the egg. Button quail are hard to read until about 10 days. If you candle just before moving them to the hatcher, or before you stop turning them, it's very obvious which eggs are clear and which are not. Buttons are about as hard as Marans eggs to candle, and I usually just don't bother. Doesn't change the outcome if you know before or not which ones are going to hatch.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom