Cant walk anymore

Will do. We don't plan any new additions but if in the event we do get more in the future I will keep this in mind. Thanks a million for the help.

I will tell you that I just went through the same sort of thing with my Delaware rooster Jack. He was about 4 months old and noticed through the day little over a month ago that he was stumbling. Well by nite time he had fallen and couldn't get back up. I brought him into the house and fixed him a cage and put food and water so he could reach it. He still couldn't stand or anything. His legs seemed fine but still nothing. On that MOnday I took him to the vet where they xrayed him and gave him a calcuim shot and wormed him. Gave me an antibiotic and sent him on his way having absolutely no clue what was wrong with him. I did discover that he was underweight. She did discover that nothing was broken and his bones looked thin. Only 4 pounds even though he looked big. Well I would not give up on him. I read and read and discovered that it could be Marek's and then I kept reading and discovered Rickets. Well I certainly did not know anything. He had been vaccinated so I hoped for the best and prayed it wasn't Marek's, but you never know. All of the other babies were fine. I had 23 other ones and noone had any problems whatsoever. I kept a close watch on them to see if anything happened and nothing did. I fixed some egg yoke, honey, oatmeal, yogurt, calcium powder, and vitamins. there is a recipe regarding Rickets. I was hoping it was not life threatening. I also went to the pet store and bought crickets for him. Protein and calcium are very important to them and he wasn't getting enough of either even though they have loads of food and they had just been switched to the adult food that week. Well I coated the crickets in the calcium powder and fed him 1 dozen each day. Gave him the yogurt, egg yoke recipe 2 times a day for several weeks. He loved it and still does. If you are able to take to vet to rule out broken bones, Marek's then she may have Rickets.

I am happy to say that after 1 month (just this past weekend) he started walking again. He is improving each day and I hope that one day soon he can go back with his chicken family.

Wish you the best of luck and hope you can save your chicken.

Back
Top Bottom