Can't walk

Tina73

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2016
Hello everyone I'm new to the site and pretty new in the chicken business. I have them for pets only and we love the fresh egg.
1f600.png
. But my question is I have a chick that is 8 weeks old today and she has 11 siblings that are all healthy. Last week I found Blanche with her foot hung in the wire and the other chicks running across her.
1f622.png
I brought her inside immediately. She has been laying with her legs straight in front of her and barley tried to move until yesterday... Now she tries to get up but she can't it's like she flops around.. She eats and drinks great and poop looks good also.. She is very alert and sings the pretty songs.. I've been moving her legs back and forth they seem fine. My husband thinks it may be her back. Can anyone help me please?!?

Sorry about your pullet. When chickens get hung up or trapped they can thrash around trying to free themselves, further injuring and extremety. Also if circulation was interrupted, there could be some nerve or tissue damage. I would make her a chicken sling or chair, and get her upright. A bad sprain or a broken bone takes 3 or more weeks to heal. Place her near the other chickens and have food and water within reach in the shade.

6612_chick_chair.jpg
LL
59765_pp.jpg
47386_dixie_slung_09-19-2010_2.jpg
October-2015-457-225x300.jpg
scooter-300x300.jpg

Last edited:
Ok thanks so much I'll try that.. I have her inside now.. Does she need to stay in the upright position all nite?

That's a good question. I would take her out some for a break now and then to see how she is doing, and let her stretch a bit, but the sling would probably be best for most of the time. It will keep her cleaner, and allow the leg and foot to heal, if that is possible. Of course, if you have a vet locally who could see her and get an Xray, that would be great. That usually costs quite a bit, though. One Xray for my dog costs over a hundred dollars, plus an exam fee, so it depends on if you want or can go that route.

Since her little accident she has not even attempted to put her legs up under her..
1f625.png

Last edited:
Sorry that she is no better. Can you try some vitamins and trace minerals in her feed, something like Poultry Booster or some Poultry Nutridrench given by mouth? I hope she starts to recover.

Back
Top Bottom