can't walk

woomy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Stroud
I have australorp chicks. They have been growing nicely and and running all over the brooder. This morning I went out to feed a water them and the biggest of them was laying down while the others were running around. When I reached down to see what was happening and the chick tried to get up but couldn't stand. when it tried to walk it stumbled. I don't understand what could have happened. Can someone help me?

Last edited:
Maybe it needs some viamins, or a little sugar water. The other chicks might have ran him over. Try giving him a little boost! Good luck!
fl.gif

Try VitaFlight or some other bird vitamin. I got mine at the PetsMart after one of my chicks became a spastic, sat on its hocks and could not walk. It was caused by a Riboflavin deficiency. She was the biggest and grew too fast. I just knew she was a goner until I did some research.

The poultry books suggest all baby chicks should have vitamins in their water. Within 48 hrs she was absolutely normal again. She is a big pretty, egg laying hen now.

how is the chick's crop? full? empty? hard?
hopefully a more experienced person will answer the sugar question - I wouldn't use too much, maybe a teaspoon per liter at the most. but hopefully someone else will answer who knows. vitamin/electrolytes would be good too, you can buy powdered versions for livestock at feedstores.

Don't worry about the sugar water. Just get some bird vitamins into the little one and it can't hurt the others either.

That is what will help it to recover from the irreversible nerve damage it will have unless it gets some riboflavin into its system.

Back
Top Bottom