Can't you smell that smell???

Quote:
oh man!! you read my mind here! ME TOO!!!!
fl.gif

What about wet pine shavings??? would that smell??? they do drag them out when they come out of the coop and they gather along that edge?? I don't think this is it, but thought I'd ask....
roll.png

Quote:
Wet pine won't smell like death. If you have DE in with the shavings...any wet poop should be dry...so wouldn't smell. How many weeks has it been from when you noticed the smell?

Quote:
Wet pine won't smell like death. If you have DE in with the shavings...any wet poop should be dry...so wouldn't smell. How many weeks has it been from when you noticed the smell?

well... according to the kids - and I do remember saying, "something stinks here!" - it was when we were building.... so that would be maybe 7 weeks? Possibly 8??? It just seems like if it were something dead, it would be done? unless really large??? We have DE'd like crazy under the coop especially along that edge - the inside of the coop when you open the door smells mostly like PINE - it is actually not bad at all.... i was just in there today fixing their food dispenser that was jamming up - we put a small amount of DE in that too.....
Thanks for brainstorming with me!
clap.gif

I would think almost 2 months of decomposing would have "taken" care of the smell...if it were a dead animal. However, if it is in the ground, it is likely to decompose at a slower rate. Also, have you noticed any flies? In a concentrated area?

Can you rule out sulphur?

We have a fungus called 'dead man's fingers'. Our shed is raised. They come up under the shed when it is humid. smells like something died. Do you have a stump near by? If the roots are running under your coop, that could be it. They are spongy orange colored and look like a few fingers sticking up from the ground.
I hate it. gag-gag-gag. I wish we could get rid of them. I am ready to put the entire place under a foot of cement.
good luck.

I use stall dry in my horse stalls and in my chicken coop - it works great, it's non-toxic. If it handles the ammonia smell of horse pee, I think it would definitely help with the dead animal smell!! At least the dead animal will eventually decompose - the horses never stop pee-ing!

Quote:
YES!! I actually thought of that last night...about the flies... oddly enough though they are in another spot altogether! They congregate where the opening of the RUN is, not where the run meets the coop. We have not had flies bad at all really compared to what I have heard others talk about this year.... it has been bad for certain insects!
No sulfur..... Am wondering about the other post with the finger fungus though! I need to look into that....

Back
Top Bottom