1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cantaloupe Chaos!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by purplepeep, Apr 20, 2009.

1. purplepeep

purplepeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Northern Ontario
    I gave my girls (2 weeks old tomorrow) some finely diced cantaloupe (rind and all...wasn't sure if I was supposed to peel it or not) and some sand from my kid's sandbox in a double-bowl cat food dish, and complete and total chaos broke out!! It was the most entertaining thing I have seen all day. Just like watching the chicken version of a live rugby game. This was their first treat, just wanted to share my excitement with like-minded chicken lovers... my friends/family all think I have lost my mind. [​IMG]

Here's the action: [​IMG]

Going nuts over the new and exciting mystery dish in their pen...
    [​IMG]

Some serious chicken rugby action going on here...
    [​IMG]

Looking for the dropped piece of cantaloupe...I know its around here somewhere!
    [​IMG]

A chicken on a break-away, with another player hot on her heels! haha.
    [​IMG]

The referee, making sure everyone plays fair. Seriously she never moved from here....just sat and watched all the action.
    [​IMG]

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

awww cute!

3. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I'm with you. No one that doesn't own chickens really understands us...they think we are all crazy.

Your babies are so cute!!!

4. supermommy

supermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    central ny
    I must have really picky chicks, because not a one of them will eat any treats!

VERY cute babies you have!

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    So CUTE!!

Love your brooder. Nice to see they have so much room to grow. They should grow up very happy and healthy because of it.

Thanks for sharing.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Mine sure take their time. They are afraid of new things. Hang in there. Mix in a little chick feed or put a little on top of the feed. My biggest success was bits of bread.

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

that's adorable! You're in good company; all of us here are absolutely besotted with our babies! [​IMG] thanks for sharing!

8. naturegirl

naturegirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Central New York
    My 3 week old chix love applesauce, meal worms, earth worms, crickets, yogert, greens, and oatmeal so far. When I put my hand in the brooder they all come runnng to see if I have a treat. Then they all try to sit in my hand if I don't have anything to offer. They are sooooo Cute!! Try live crickets from a pet shop to see a feeding frenzie!!! HILARIOUS!!!!!!

9. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    That's adorable... thanks for sharing!!

10. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    I gave my older hens cantaloupe for the first time over the weekend. I was originally going to cut it up, but figured they could just peck at the rind and all...

When they saw me coming they all got excited and met me at the door. When I put it in their run they looked at the melon, then back at me as if to say what the heck is this stuff?! I figured they'd need time or must not have had a taste for melon.

About an hour later I checked in and they completely masticated the poor melon!! They were absolutely nuts over it! So I cut another melon, this time in half and gave that to them and by the end of the day they had picked it clean! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by