Caponized roo personality

tn_artist

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Wilson, NC
I asked this in another forum and it was suggested I ask on this one as people here would have less attachment to their birds, since they will be eaten.
Anyway, my daughter has a beautiful OE Bantam roo that she wants to keep. We are going to try a no crow collar, do to restrictions on roosters where we live. If that doesn't work and we decide to caponized him, will his friendly personality stay intact? Will it keep him from crowing?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20190516_191551.jpg
    20190516_191551.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 18
I ordered a no-crow collar, which didn’t stop his crowing, but softened it. He looks pretty young, so I’m going to remind you that many Roos take a drastic personality turn when they hit chicken puberty, and suggest you wait until he’s at least a year old before considering spending money on surgery for him. (I wouldn’t have bought the collar if I’d realized what a jerk mine would turn out to be, lol)

I would suggest that you abide by the law if it states you can't have roosters and not attempt to have a risky surgery carried out on the poor rooster.

From my study, it is easier to caponise a younger bird, because as they get older the testes get softer. The sooner the better for a successful operation. A vet could do it, it would cost on the order of spaying a cat at my vet. As far as his personality, think of a neutered dog, he is a better pet.

It should stop the crowing. But you need to realize there's a risk of death from the surgery, and I think it goes up the older the bird gets...

Not necessarily. Certain behaviors once learned are not stopped. Crowing is typically one of them.

I would suggest that you abide by the law if it states you can't have roosters and not attempt to have a risky surgery carried out on the poor rooster.

A rooster by definition is an intact Male. It would no longer be a rooster with the removal of the testes. The owners would be within the letter if not also the spirit of the law.

You have to realize that doing this has a HIGH risk of killing him. Is it worth the risk?

Rehoming a rooster generally has an exponentially higher risk of killing him. Do you think people that volunteer to take roosters give them a forever home.:lau

For Pete's sake people. Are you equally against spaying/neutering cats and dogs, castrating bull calves and cutting stallions. There's a high risk of killing anything that has surgery. You all need to get a grip on reality and have some ziXe8K85T.jpg

Not necessarily. Certain behaviors once learned are not stopped. Crowing is typically one of them.

A rooster by definition is an intact Male. It would no longer be a rooster with the removal of the testes. The owners would be within the letter if not also the spirit of the law.

Rehoming a rooster generally has an exponentially higher risk of killing him. Do you think people that volunteer to take roosters give them a forever home.:lau

For Pete's sake people. Are you equally against spaying/neutering cats and dogs, castrating bull calves and cutting stallions. There's a high risk of killing anything that has surgery. You all need to get a grip on reality and have some View attachment 1794580
Have you done any research on this subject? This surgery is NOTHING like spaying or neutering a dog or cat. That is relatively low risk and simple. This surgery is much more complicated as a rooster’s testicles are extremely close to his other organs. All the other operations you listed involve the testicles being outside their body. Cats and dogs are some of the only animals that we spay. I’ve never met a spayed cow or mare, and I work heavily with large livestock. If she doesn’t want to rehome him to someone that’ll eat him then she could advertise him as a flock rooster, especially since he’s a bantam and wouldn’t produce much meat in the first place.

For Pete's sake people. Are you equally against spaying/neutering cats and dogs, castrating bull calves and cutting stallions. There's a high risk of killing anything that has surgery. You all need to get a grip on reality and have some View attachment 1794580
You know, I was with you until you felt it necessary to be insulting, wow.

Coming back to this... We don't know if she even has a vet near her willing or able to perform a caponization. That's nowhere near a given. Sedation is more difficult with birds vs mammals as well, and like was mentioned, chickens' testicles are tucked way up next to their lungs. It's not that simple to just say, "Oh yeah, neuter my bird please."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom