Caponizing

i think the chemical pellet is still used in some countries .
i was thinking of using sex links a guy was selling them 4 20 cents

The sex links are an egg breed, so I think they will always be fairly scrawny. Caponizing them may help, but they are still genetically pre-disposed to smaller body size. But all chickens are edible, even if they don't have much meat on them. :)

The sex links are an egg breed, so I think they will always be fairly scrawny.  Caponizing them may help, but they are still genetically pre-disposed to smaller body size.  But all chickens are edible, even if they don't have much meat on them.  :)

Hatchery "sex links" are usually a smaller bird, bred specificly for egg laying, not duel purpose. However there are alot of people out there breeding "sex links" using good duel purpose breeds so that they will be able to sell the chicks for more, sexed. I can sell off the mix pullets as layers and raise or sell the roos for meat. There is a good thread about "sex link" breeding match ups.

Jeez, isn't that a painful ordeal for the bird? do you use some kind of anesthetic? Is it even worth it?
hmm.png

LOL, Ya it would be defeating the purpose for sure if you went out and bought chicken meat from the store. We raised our own meat birds too but i bought all pullet chicks. Theres only two of us to feed so getting really big birds wasn't necessary.

Yeah, today Dawn and I successfully caponzied 4 roos, lost 1 bantam. He was so small. I think I made a bad call by trying to do him. The other boys are doing well and don't really know how lucky they are right now. Interesting was that 1 of them had huge black testes and one had 1 black and 1 yellow.

hide.gif

Thanks to Mcbutterpants for his advice and support.

Back
Top Bottom