Capons 2

wisdom_seeker

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
CT
Looks like the original Capons post is locked?
idunno.gif

On Friday night I caponized a rooster for the first time!

I got everything set up and ready to go with 2 -6 week old roosters.
I followed the directions in my book and made the first cut. Then I realized that I should have dispatched the first bird I try to caponize first. Well the book was way off as far as where to cut! I then realized that I cut into a lung then I went
sickbyc.gif
! I could feel my face turn green! I then quickly put the bird out of its misery and figured out what I did wrong. I found the proper place to make the cut and made the necessary modifications / adjustments to the spreader tool.

After I got my stomach back in order I tried again on the second rooster. This time it worked and the bird as of Sunday night is doing fine. When I get more practice and feel as though I can do a better job at it; I will post the process with photos.

I just wanted anyone who is interested in caponizing that they should do the stomach a favor and dispatch the 1st bird first.

If I knew I could do it quickly and cause little pain to the bird I may get up the nerve to do it... But I would definatly need to see a detailed video or pics first... All the books I've seen are of drawings and not real clear... About how long did it take you to do?

Quote:
The only time the 2nd bird stuggled was when I made the first cut.
The book was correct in that 1 cotton ball would remove any blood.
After that it stayed calm. It took me about 5 min per side as I am still very new at this. Also I found that the "bean" scooper tool did not help much. I'll keep the tool for the other end which helps move the membranes.

I'll be placing a chick order soon so it will be however long it take me to get more chicks plus 6 weeks to post any pics.

I need to buy a kit for this, been considering giving it a try. I asked around (mostly asked the Amish gentlemen) and no one does this around here. I was hoping for someone experienced I could watch do it, and learn that way. Oh well, gonna have to try it on my own I guess.

Meri

Quote:
Hi Wisdom_seeker! I'd like to know about the progress of the little caponize roo too. I bought a kit about a month ago and my boys are the right age, but I haven't worked up the nerve to try it yet. Could you clarify were I should be making the cut? the book says between the 2nd and 3rd ribs but the drawings look make it look like the next to last rib
hu.gif

Quote:
I would cut as close to the hip as you can; So that would be between the 1st & 2nd rib. (the Sears guide says to cut here as well) Don't go too close to the back bone. The only reason I could think of that the book would not be right is maybe it has to do with gland removal from only one side? I just think it would be too difficult to try to "dig" though all the membranes to find the gland on the opposite side.

If you are going to try this I would suggest that you don't expect very good results the 1st time. I also had to force myself not to give up and not try again. Now I am glad I did. If you can process a chicken then I think you can caponize too. If you loose your stomach
sickbyc.gif
take a break and try again.

I've wanted to do this for some time. Can I assemble the tools required or do I really need to buy the kit? I already have an assortment of antique medical tools. The Sears instuction looks comprhensive. Any thoughts? And is it true that a caponized rooster does not crow? My chicks are three weeks today.
Thanks

okay thanks for the feedback
big_smile.png
I've been trying to "practice" on roosters I'm processing - not the same thing since there's a big difference in age and other things
lau.gif
your insight makes me feel a little more confident. I think I'm going to give it a try this week
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom