Capons vs. True Capons

wisdom_seeker

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
CT
This is for chinese capons!

He has asked about Wapsie Produce and American Capons.

I looked at the web site and it looks like they are caponizing Cornish Crosses at 3 weeks. Then they process them at 18 weeks. According to the basic definition of what a Capon is I guess that you could call it that with out it technically being a lie.

When I think of what a capon is I think of a standard dual breed that is over 6 months old and BIG!!!

Am I right or wrong about this? It looks to me like the word Capon is sometimes used as a buzz word to sell meat at a higher price?

You can caption a cornish x, but with the high protein feed available in the US, there really isn't a reason to do so because they will be 5-6 lbs dressed in 8 weeks, and likely 10+ lbs dressed in 12 weeks.

Dear wisdom_seeker

It seems that you know of the capons are limited.
smile.png

When I saw you the title, I was surprised.

Maybe I shouldn't be posting cause I really don't know much about capons, but I was looking into it for a while. I thought caponization was done at six weeks, and the latest it's done is 3 months. At least that's what my research said....Here's a link that someone posted for me: http://www.afn.org/~poultry/capon.htm. And yeah, the purpose is so the non-meat breeds will get big enough to be used for meat. Cornish X get big fast so caponizing them, although probably unnecessary, might make them a bit bigger, I don't know. Other breeds, like Barred Rock, don't get big enough for the table till they hit a good 6 months old, and by then their meat would be really tough. So they get caponized, which makes them get huge but not so tough, meaning they can grow to full size and still taste good and be butchered at any time. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what my understanding of it was.

In my opinion C"Cornish x" is a kind of asexual reproduction of birds

Capon is a castrated cock, through the deletion of testicular surgery to fattening and improve meat quality, cock of any kind can be turned into capon through surgery.

Capon of Italian history, second only to China,searching through Italian (cappone), also can find information about capon.

(and I hope to not offend you with such)

Quote:
I can give Wapsie Produce a phone call and ask them any question you like if you want.

My guess would be that they do not show the caponizing process because of animal rights groups and the typical American does not want to know where thier food came from. I think they beleive it would be bad for American Business.

I remember in South China that you would 9 times out of 10 see/meet the animal live before you ate it. This was good because you KNOW that the food is fresh and good.

In our large cities I'm sure you could find people that don't know meat comes from animals!

Quote:
I say AMEN and This is what I was thinking. What is the point of Caponizing a Cornish Cross? While yes it is a Capon by definition, I can't see it making a diference in meat quality for such a young bird.

And AMEN to Jesus too!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom