Capsized hen---what could this be?!

rbc-bow-chicka

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2014
Ok... so... I keep having these "firsts." Lucky me.

Yesterday, came upon what I believed at the time was an expired girl. When I went to go in the coop she whipped her head around at me and I shrieked, and she seemed none too pleased with the ensuing racket from everyone else.

She had been kind of toppled over, more so on her back than on her quarter and unable to catch a foot on the ground in order to right herself. So I righted her... she was a little panty... I'm guessing from not being able to breathe fully for who knows how long, but before I knew it she was walking around and eating/drinking/pooping normally- seemingly recovered. I figured it was a fluke, it had rained, it was slippery, all done.

This morning, same thing... though I do not think she was down as long. No panting when I righted her and also resumed normal activities.

She is maybe 7 1/2 years old... black sex link. Does not feel particularly light or have a squishy abdomen.

She is not a spring chicken so it could be anything, I suppose... but I am wondering if anyone else has seen this in their chickens and what ideas you may have of how to help her stop finding herself in this predicament.

Do you have photos?

Are you catching her lounging?
I appreciate your reply and apologize that my day got away from me. The times I checked on her icluding bedtime, she was fine.

I keep my phone with me and I suspect I will be able to snap a photo of her when I go out this morning with them.

Her being caught lounging did occur to me, but i waited for a few seconds and she was struggling to get up and apparently pretty tired from the exertion.

Thank you again and I should know more soon!!!!

Do you have photos?

Are you catching her lounging?

Well, it appears that she is over whatever it was that was causing her to go over. I went to let them out this morning.... she was perfectly fine... and was the same when I went out a couple of more times.

So ignore me!!

Again, thank you for your interest in helping me!

Those old gals can have cardiac issues and take on 'spells'. This old gal (11 yrs) liked to take breaks.
DSCN5719.JPG

Then there is the dust bather who will make your heart skip a beat.
DSCN5674.JPG

Well, it appears that she is over whatever it was that was causing her to go over. I went to let them out this morning.... she was perfectly fine... and was the same when I went out a couple of more times.

So ignore me!!

Again, thank you for your interest in helping me!
No worries.
I'm glad to hear she's doing better.
Pic 2- What in the name of Col. Sanders is she doing?? So odd
🙃 They can get into some odd positions when dust bathing.
I have gone outside and found one of my roosters in the dust bath a few times flat on his back with his legs/feet straight up in the air like he had done passed on. No photos, but he sure seemed annoyed at me for disturbing him.🤷‍♀️😂

Those old gals can have cardiac issues and take on 'spells'. This old gal (11 yrs) liked to take breaks.View attachment 3232593

Then there is the dust bather who will make your heart skip a beat.
View attachment 3232609
Awwww. They are lovely.

I am just seeing your response now.... as I was coming back to re read my post about my capsized hen... because low and behold I now have another one. Another black sex link, same age...11 months later. Been happening on and off for about a week. I'm going to bring her up for some tlc and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom