CAPSONIZING ROOSTERS

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pokey, Jul 15, 2008.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    does or has anyone capsonized roosters?i guess i mean will a vet do it nowadays, how much$$$ if you can find one?i hate to cull them and if calmer maybe some would be less noisy. my husband is going to die if he sees this post. i can't get him to neuter the dog.[​IMG]

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Honestly, I don't recommend it. If a vet does it, it will be probably a lot more money than you'll want to spend. It's not really a do-it-yourself type of project either. Maybe you could trade someone for a more docile breed of roo?

I seem to remember a thread on this a few months ago describing the procedure (sp?). Lemme see if I can find it.......

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Since this is not an emergency, I am going to move this thread to the Behaviors section for better feedback.

4. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I read up on it and even practiced on a couple already-dead cockerels.

I decided that it wasn't in me to do that to a live critter.

5. Crappie

Crappie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    I did a search on the internet a few weeks ago about this. I heard/read it would make my broilers larger. There's a pdf out there with instructions from an old mail order Sears catalog Capon Kit. I downloaded it, read and promptly decided that's WAY more than I'm qualified to do.

Good luck.

6. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    someone who has done it told me it was not something you'd want to try by yourself and you need to know what you are removing. i agree. i don't want anyone cutting things out of me w/o painkillers! iwill call the vet tommorrow,i am curious what they charge.

7. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:so what was the asnwer to that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by