Car vs Rooster!!! Can he be saved???

I've been following this thread. Compliments to OrphanNanny and her dedication to healing this roo. Compliments to BYC members and their words of wisdom! I have learned a great deal from reading the thread. I hope to goodness that none of my chickens endure Lucky's injuries.

A couple suggestions/ideas/questions...

Is Lucky molting thanks to the TLC he's receiving? Now that his injuries and illnesses are healing, is his body dealing with more mundane issues like a new outfit?

Can "Super Lucky" be put in a large carrier like a dog crate/cage? This will contain his exuberance and tendancy to jump out of the basket and leap off tall buildings (tables!). Towels or small blankets will provide him traction. I'd hate to see his leg re-injured when he seems to be coping and healing so well. And OrphanNanny needs some downtime after her intensive nursing of this handsome fellow!

The pics of the healing on his lower beak is AMAZING! Is that because the lower break is in an area of living tissue? Are both sides healing similarily? This is the cool, in-depth sort of thing that most published sources don't deal with.

I think he is a candidate for a before/after beauty constest. "The Story of Lucky... Then and Now!" What's the masculine name for "Cinderella?" You betcha I'd buy a T-shirt and the magazine that featured the story!

Thanks for the high quality pics of Lucky through his rehabilitation. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to glean information from poor quality pics.

All I can say now is, "WOW! What a lucky chickie!"

I have read through this whole thread and want to thank you for your perseverance and posting pics. We are all on a learning curve and it helps to read and learn from real life stories.

I've been following every day, and am so glad to see Lucky's improvement! He's a trooper!
love.gif

Quote:
X2 It really has been... I have learned so much... Then again I have never asked a question that someone has not answered... Go Lucky, can hardly wait until your mommy post more pics of your progress... So many times I have read where people have said to cull a hurt roo... I love my boy Rick and I can't imagine if he was hurt not to try my best to help him... You were on the side of the road and you have definately been blessed that your new mommy found you that day... Yes I am a crazy chicken lady and yes I am talking like Lucky can read...
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
X2 It really has been... I have learned so much... Then again I have never asked a question that someone has not answered... Go Lucky, can hardly wait until your mommy post more pics of your progress... So many times I have read where people have said to cull a hurt roo... I love my boy Rick and I can't imagine if he was hurt not to try my best to help him... You were on the side of the road and you have definately been blessed that your new mommy found you that day... Yes I am a crazy chicken lady and yes I am talking like Lucky can read...
thumbsup.gif

At the rate she's going Lucky will be reading in no time! Great post RR.

OrphanN, You should stop the antibiotics after 10 days. Offer plain yogurt to maintain gut flora, maybe mixed w/ 20% non-medicated starter.
I'd worm him in 2 weeks. I use fenbendazole (Safe guard for dogs) or my first choice...Eprinex.

I'll give you the breakdown of dosage tomorrow.

Quote:
LOL...Thanks for nominating him
smile.png
How do those pictures get chosen???

Email a picture to [email protected]
Include your username:
Include a short sentence about your chicken (name, breed, age):
Be a sharp, clean, picture of your chicken:
Agree that we could use it in a calendar if we want to:

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

At the rate she's going Lucky will be reading in no time! Great post RR.

OrphanN, You should stop the antibiotics after 10 days. Offer plain yogurt to maintain gut flora, maybe mixed w/ 20% non-medicated starter.
I'd worm him in 2 weeks. I use fenbendazole (Safe guard for dogs) or my first choice...Eprinex.

I'll give you the breakdown of dosage tomorrow.

Oh, he is reading...he's right next to me at the computer and lovin all the lovin!
love.gif

Thank you for the reminder on the antibiotics and yogurt...I should be right at 10 days now, I think....going to have to look back through the posts to be certain of when I started...

I did give him a small pea sized dose of Ivermectin (at the recommendation of another chicken friend...to help kill scaly leg mites and any other icky buggies he might have) Is that something you're familiar with?...should I give him another dose of that, ya think?

Just know that I appreciate all of your help and everyone else's too...As does Mr. La Roo
wink.png

Quote:
LOL...Thanks for nominating him
smile.png
How do those pictures get chosen???

Email a picture to [email protected]
Include your username:
Include a short sentence about your chicken (name, breed, age):
Be a sharp, clean, picture of your chicken:
Agree that we could use it in a calendar if we want to:

thanks! Think I should mention a bit about his story? Or just leave it to his good looks?
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom