Cardboard Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is good that your bird is out of the cold...and I hope you soon find
proper chicken feed since you seem unwilling to find a more suitable home...I am sorry but a cardboard box in a garage is not suitable to keep your bird in except as a temporary emergency measure. I know you want to do right by your bird and that you obviously love it very much (or you would not be asking here for advice
big_smile.png
) and I want to encourage you to do a few simple things that will make all the difference in the world to your pet (and keep it from dying like the last one)
1) GET PROPER CHICKEN FEED (the person selling it to you will tell you the right kind according to the age of the bird) the wrong feed will kill your bird in the long run so this is very important! YOU NEED TO HAVE IT ON OFFER ALL THE TIME so your bird can eat it when it needs too>birds eat constantly all the time except when they are asleep. YOU NEED TO HAVE FRESH WATER in available also ALL THE TIME and dont wait till it is gone but fill it up with fresh water every single day and throw away what the bird did not drink. (don't forget to clean the water dish!)

2) You need to find or build a proper coop for your bird. Here is a link to some examples of a proper coop but since you only have the one bird let me suggest a rabbit hutch for it...fill it with shavings and clean it out once a week.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/coopdesigns.html

3) Look at your petstore for the little enclosures for the bunnies...it is like an upside down v-shape so the pird can be outside and yet be safe from cats and other predators...they are easy to make yourself too!!! Maybe your dad will help you make a big one for her (because I think the rabbit one might be a bit small). This way you can let her outside for a bit when you or your mom and dad have time to do that ... it is IMPORTANT that your bird have light ... when it can not have sunlight outside then you need to have a light on in the garage so that it has at least 8-10 hours of light a day.

4) Your bird will soon be hopping out of that box...there are many things in your garage that will kill your bird if it gets into them...a small piece of string or such is terribly dagerous when your bird swallows it...as long as you keep your bird in the garage you will need to make an enclosure fencing off a portion and you need to make sure there is nothing in that area she can eat or such that will harm her.

I hope these tips will help you and remember this is just meant as something you need to do quickly if you want no harm to come to your bird in the coming weeks. Good Luck.

Last edited:
The most basic chicken chicken coop is a cube wooden box. It needs to have a nestbox, perches, and a pophole. The pophole is the chicken's door. You need to be able to shut it securely.

Each chicken will need 1.5 square foot inside and 8 square foot outside. Corn will do a lot better with a friend, as chickens are sociable, flock animals. It doesn't have to be the same breed.

You can see a lot of different kinds of coops here.

Today my mom looked up an ddress for the chicken feed food and found some place in Loganville. But she doesnt know Loganville very well, so we searched for it, and we didn't fint it. Then we go to Pet Co for hamster stuff and to Wal Mart. She said that she should have called first, and that we could go some time later this week. I think just bringing Corn in from the cold made him feel a lot better. He now is more active and eats more than before. I bring him in from the cold at night, then put him back in the garage in the morning. I know he still isn't that healthy not eating the right chicken food, but we're going to get that soon. Thanks for the chicken coop ideas! We're gonna try the idea! I'll tell you guys ALL about what happens! What would I do without you??
smile.png

Yay - I'm glad youre taking the right steps! In the meantime maybe you can give him some lettuce and/or other vegetables as a supplement until he gets his food. my chickens have always liked ccoked noodles as an occasional treat. Still - try to get the proper food as soon as you can!
smile.png

Lots of good advice here.. I wonder how much will be heeded.
Kinda reminds me of all the kids that get easter chicks that will die within a couple of weeks.
Hum???????

I am happy corn seems to be getting better..I can tell you love ur chick!!! ummm ye rabbit hutches make good chicken cvages..try looking for one of those maybe?

Kinda reminds me of all the kids that get easter chicks that will die within a couple of weeks

ahhh I know, I have heard MUCH to many stories about that.

this is always what I hear..(quoted sentences are the person I am talking to, I am the unquoted sentences are what I am saying)

"OH I had chickens too once!! chicks ...one was pink..one was blue..one was green..

you know they were dyed right??

"oh really??"

ye

"oh..well they were cute."

how long did they live?

" about 2 weeks...one fell off the balcony..the other one I dropped and it died..andd the others just got sick"

oh that sucks...what were u feeding it?

"i unno, I didn't feed it really..it was always pecking around. besides, it was only a chick"

great..ok do me a favour?? never buy chicks again.

tongue.png
I have that conversation alot HAHAHAHHA almost the exact one each time.

(I am not bashing anyone whos gotten chicks for the first time..or for easter..I am just refering to some of my friends)​

Last edited:
I must confess I was shocked when I found out they were dyed while still in the shell.
shoot that dye in during the incubation phase.
Dang who would have thought
But back to the topic at hand.
Kid, really if you dont want that bird, get it to some one who will give it "proper" care.
The story of the "theory" about how the last one died kinda got me.

wow really? HAHAHAH this whole time I thought they where like dumped into a bucket or something..I never realy thought of it. they would drown then..haha

isn't the dye unhealthy for them at all?

"They" say it's not unhealthy, but I won't risk it. Besides the fact that I have enough problems hatching as it is, without inserting a hole in to the egg! LOL AND I don't want someone buying a chick just b/c they're cute at the time. The color does fade or grow out when their baby fluff sheds so they wouldn't be pretty colored for long. Some people use dye also in the same respect if they have several different birds in one incubator and they want to be sure which chick is from which batch/breeding. They'll dye each breeding different colors.

This magazine is a good resource for the chicken keeper who's just starting out. http://www.hobbyfarms.com/hobby-far.../PopularFarming/Popular-Farming-Chickens.aspx

But I agree with everyone else. To make Corn the happiest, he needs a coop and run for outdoors. Rabbit hutches found at pet stores do nicely and aren't that expensive. And a small chicken tractor would be a good predator proof way for him to run outside. Read all you can from this website and you could even go to a book store and find books about chicken care. Heres a link to a book on amazon that's cheap.http://www.amazon.com/Chickens-Your..._bbs_sr_2/002-2812254-3587269?ie=UTF8&s=books

Just go to amazon.com and do a search in books for the term "chicken care" and it has tons of info for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom