Care for Brooding hen

all6mine

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2023
North Central FL
I do not have experience with hens setting/ hatching, etc. I have a Buff Orpington who went broody a couple of weeks ago. After some gentle efforts to "break the brood," I got several fertile eggs to let her set. That was three days ago. I simply blocked off one end of the hen house where the nest is, placed food and water close to the nest. She is taking this VERY seriously! So far, I have seen no sign that she has gotten off the nest even for water, food or to poop. Is there a point at which i should take her off the nest briefly in hopes that she will take the opportunity for self care?

I would remove the food and water from the vicinity of the nest, and take her off the nest so that she does not soil/ruin the eggs. If/when she leaves the nest on her own, you will see the large, smelly broody poop. Good luck for a successful incubation/hatch.

one of mine (who is sitting now as it happens) only comes off once in every couple of days; others have come off daily for more or less time, so it depends on the individual hen's personality, and metabolism. She will have built up reserves before she went broody, and it is very rare that a broody doesn't exercise enough self-care to survive the 3 weeks of incubation to hatch.

If I understand aright you've closed off a section of the coop so other hens cannot add their eggs to the clutch, and there is space off the nest for her to move around a bit, eat, drink, poop, perhaps even take a dustbath? I'd put the food and water in the opposite corner from the nest of whatever space that is; she should get off and stretch at least her legs periodically, and you should endeavour to remove broody poops asap after they're deposited.

When the chicks hatch you'll need to ensure they can't drown in the water dish, by using something small and shallow and filling it with marbles or suchlike. There's lots of good advice on this thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...hatch-a-long-and-informational-thread.457488/

one of mine (who is sitting now as it happens) only comes off once in every couple of days; others have come off daily for more or less time, so it depends on the individual hen's personality, and metabolism. She will have built up reserves before she went broody, and it is very rare that a broody doesn't exercise enough self-care to survive the 3 weeks of incubation to hatch.

If I understand aright you've closed off a section of the coop so other hens cannot add their eggs to the clutch, and there is space off the nest for her to move around a bit, eat, drink, poop, perhaps even take a dustbath? I'd put the food and water in the opposite corner from the nest of whatever space that is; she should get off and stretch at least her legs periodically, and you should endeavour to remove broody poops asap after they're deposited.

When the chicks hatch you'll need to ensure they can't drown in the water dish, by using something small and shallow and filling it with marbles or suchlike. There's lots of good advice on this thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...hatch-a-long-and-informational-thread.457488/
Thank you so much for the reply. Yes, other hens are not able to access Buffy's nest - Her area is about 24x30 in including the nest. Food and water are about 16 in away from nest in chick fount and feeder, so hen would have to get off nest to reach it. I figured that way i dont have to change anything once chicks hatch.

Just an update on Buffy and her brood: Of 6 eggs, three were successful in hatching. Two attempted, but did not get past chipping the ring around the shell. One of the successful three struggled with severe pasting up. I didn't notice this until about a week. This chick seemed to have developed fistulas to expel stool. I watched and cleaned it regularly for the next week. As the chick was pretty weak, I did not expect it to survive. At 3 1/2 wks, the weak one is smaller and has an underdeveloped/deformed left wing, but all three follow Momma around the yard.

Attachments

• 2023 buffy and brood.jpg
    2023 buffy and brood.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
It is advicible to let nature take play it's part as the hen will leave the nest any time she feels it's okay to poop or eat this happen instinctively
All you can do is to provide her with food and water but not close to her nest so she doesn't ruin her eggs 👍😘

Yes, hens did this for ages without our help ☺️ I knew it was normal for her to leave nest only once or twice a day, but was relieved to discover that not leaving for a couple of days was also normal.

Back
Top Bottom