Care of orpington

tingle

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Merseyside
Dont know if I have posted in the right section my bird isnt ill but need advice about his feathers.He is a large blue orpington that I rescued at the auction,He is a good weight and in good condition apart from his feathers he looks like he has an undercoat,if you liken it to a small fluffy dog you would want to brush all the pale fluffy undercoat out.What should I do with him will it fall out and settle down itself, Thanks

Sounds like either a molt or overcrowding, so they should grow back in time. If it's a molt, the pinfeathers are fairly obvious. Do a search on molting and look at some pics. Good luck!

If he is eating, drinking, preening his feathers and going "poo" normally then that's a good sign. If you are concerned about his coat, take a few minutes just to inspect him a bit. I sit down with my hens in my lap and check separate their feathers a little bit so that I can see down to the skin. This is a good way to check for parasites and skin problems. Also, don't forget to check his butt to make sure that there are no pests around there. If all looks good and he is acting fine, then I would imagine that he is alright. I have a buff orpington who is very fluffly right now because she just went thru a Fall molt. Hope this helps -- sure glad you rescued the fella from auction.

Back
Top Bottom