Caring for australorp attacked by fox

I don't know what is available, but electrolytes and maybe some softened food will entice her anything that will entice her to start eating, she still may be in shock. If you have something like blue kote to put on her injury Put that on before returning her to the flock so they don't peck at it.

Is the coop secure enough to keep predators out? Fox are especially brazen and will be back as they caught a meal so it's a guarantee they will be back. Don't know how to advise you though as it's a different country and not sure what you can do to predators attacking your flock.

So sorry for your losses and she should recover , my poor cockerel just about lost his head defending his girls, it took him a lot longer as injury was clear to the bone, looked like he'd been scalped. took 2-3 days before he'd do more than drink and a little nibble on some greens, but covering it with the blue kote he was back with his girls as they were all stressed out and that comforted them. took him almost 6 months to get any feathers back in in his neck though.

We have a good setup which can be locked at night. I trusted my daughter to lock them up... big mistake ☹️. We are keeping them locked up more at the moment in their coup and run even during the day, not letting them put to graze. They are not doing much as they are in shock still. Feeding them treats but still little interest in food. Henrietta is inside our house and will stay there for the next 1.5 weeks with her Silkie mate. We bought another one in tonight. She hadn’t gone back into the coup tonight and her breathing was a little pressured. I am going to give her extra comfort as well in our house. I am not sure if shock changes breathing in hens.

Yes, she could. I'd be tempted to try to cover it (after a liberal dose of antibiotic ointment) if I took her outside at all. But other birds will peck at it regardless of what you do - so I'd at least keep her out of their "reach".
Good idea. The two with her at the moment are leaving her alone but they are very gentle. I might make her a raincoat for the area for when she has to go back out. Bad or good idea???

That doesn't look too bad, mostly feathers plucked and a couple of wounds.
Just treat the wounds as you would your own,
keep it clean and some AB ointment applied.
Might see new feathers growing soon.
Hen saddle might help protect it, but don't leave it on 24/7.

O
That doesn't look too bad, mostly feathers plucked and a couple of wounds.
Just treat the wounds as you would your own,
keep it clean and some AB ointment applied.
Might see new feathers growing soon.
Hen saddle might help protect it, but don't leave it on 24/7.

Okay. I’m glad to hear that she is not too bad. The skin part freaks me out... makes me think of the raw chooks in the supermarket

Back
Top Bottom