Caring for chicks

Pstalvey

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
I have a RIR that has been setting on a clutch of eggs for almost 18 days. We are getting ready for them to hatch this weekend. My question is: do we let mom keep them warm or should we put them in a brooder? We live in South Georgia and are having HOT temps right now..during the day but nights get down in the 80's. This will be our first time hatching eggs. Just not sure what to do?!

Mom will be just fine. You could take them away from her and put them in a brooder but there is really no need, just make sure that there is food and water that is accessible to the little peeps. Oh by the way,
yippiechickie.gif
Welcome to BYC from the great state of Georgia.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Let mom do everything. She knows just what to do. But if you are wanting to raise them then you'll have to put them in a brooder and raise them. Make sure the mama has chick food, water and clean bedding.

Glad you joined!

Thanks for the response! Is it ok if we move her and the chicks from the nesting box to a grow out pen? We have a covered cage that we can put in the grow out pen. We can also put a nesting box inside the cage so they can have a place to feel secure. Will that work or do you have any other suggestion? Can't leave them in the coop because it is built up off the ground with a ramp for the hens/roosters to go in and out. I don't feel like it's safe for the chicks

I hope I'm responding the correct way?? This is new to me. So I should put the mom and the chicks in the brooder together?
Mom will be just fine. You could take them away from her and put them in a brooder but there is really no need, just make sure that there is food and water that is accessible to the little peeps. Oh by the way, :yiipchick Welcome to BYC from the great state of Georgia.
Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.
Let mom do everything. She knows just what to do. But if you are wanting to raise them then you'll have to put them in a brooder and raise them. Make sure the mama has chick food, water and clean bedding. Glad you joined!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! If you want her to raise the chicks, leave them with her where ever you want them. She should supply the heat the chicks need so no reason to move them to a regular brooder like you would have to with chicks you raise without a mother. Having her and the chicks in a grow out pen in/near the coop for awhile is a good idea to be sure the chicks are doing well and eating/drinking etc and especially if the coop is a little crowded so the other chickens aren't as likely to bother them. There is a nice thread on using broody hens https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ody-hen-hatch-a-long-and-informational-thread

Thank you for answering my question. I'm so excited and just want to make sure I'm doing everything that I need to. Can't wait to hear the babies chirping
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! If you want her to raise the chicks, leave them with her where ever you want them. She should supply the heat the chicks need so no reason to move them to a regular brooder like you would have to with chicks you raise without a mother. Having her and the chicks in a grow out pen in/near the coop for awhile is a good idea to be sure the chicks are doing well and eating/drinking etc and especially if the coop is a little crowded so the other chickens aren't as likely to bother them. There is a nice thread on using broody hens https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ody-hen-hatch-a-long-and-informational-thread

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You have been given some good information and a good link by the other BYC members. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatching.

Hello and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Good luck with your broody and her chicks and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom