caring for ducklings in the winter time

elephantapple

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 28, 2013
We live in Vancouver, WA. Have a Runner duck female that has been laying on a nest, today the ducklgs are making their appearance into the world. They are not in a coop, she made the nest in the middle of a shrub, the weather during the day is about 50 degrees and night approx 43 degrees. We are unsure of what are actions should be to protect and keep the ducklings warm. She has about 17 eggs to go, we know that all may not make it but we want to do what we can..Please tell us what are next steps are.. Thank you,
greatly appreciate all input.

Well, they need to have some kind of protection from predators right now.

Beyond that, I am not a hatcher, but there is the Thread Formerly Known as Hatch Day is Today, and

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/743710/old-fashioned-broody-thread-for-ducks-2013-edition

Congratulations, and

welcome-byc.gif

Amiga is spot on, they are sitting ducks left out like that.. since hatching is underway it's tricky to move anyone now, can you pen around her? i would highly recommend it for her and the ducklings safety. After all have hatched i would move her into a coop, she will bring the young in/out but will definitely need a safe place to keep them when necessary.

welcome-byc.gif

You can use a combination of plywood and fencing, be sure to get something across the top, and have food and water for her at least during the day. At night, it probably would be best to remove the food to avoid attracting predators, and be careful ducklings cannot fall into water and drown.

There is much to consider, but it becomes second nature.

Back
Top Bottom