caring for ducks after a weasel attack

bunkerhomestead

Chirping
Sep 6, 2018
Last night a weasel dug under the duck pen and breached the hardware wire flooring through a spot where it had rusted. It killed one duck and wounded 5. I'm looking for advice to caring for them. Right now they are in 2 large plastic tubs 2 in one and 3 in the other lined with plenty of straw and covered with towels near the radiator in my mudroom. I washed their wounds one by one in the bathtub with warm water and mild soap. They seemed to be soothed by the warm water. The bites on the back of their heads and necks did not seem to be deep and look superficial. I put antibiotic ointment on the wounds and gave them oral antibiotic and a squirt of nutridrench and put them in the tubs to rest. I was going to move them to a larger cage in still in the mud room for warmth and where I could set down food and water but they are still wet from the wound washing and seem too freaked out for me to move them again. I think its best to keep them in the tubs overnight which is warmer but I can't set down food and water as it will be immediately tipped over. I have been offering water every 2 or 3 hours. They are drinking, but very little. My daughter suggested I make a warm mash of their grain with a little cracked corn and yogurt. They didn't look well enough to eat the last time I checked. I also noticed swelling around the heads of a couple of them but I suppose it is from the trauma of the fight. They stand when I offer them water and are not lethargic nor do they seem wobbly. Should I leave them alone for the night without eating or should I try food? Is there anything else any of you can suggest? I have not taken any photos as I've been trying to keep them as quiet as possible. I very much appreciate any thoughts and advice. Thank you!

Keep them warm, and calm and stress-free. You can try to offer food, but my guess is they could possibly be in shock, in which case they won't eat immediately anyway. You are doing everything correctly it seems. I would use vetricin or blu kote on the wounds myself, as those have always given me great results.

Keep them warm, and calm and stress-free. You can try to offer food, but my guess is they could possibly be in shock, in which case they won't eat immediately anyway. You are doing everything correctly it seems. I would use vetricin or blu kote on the wounds myself, as those have always given me great results.

This will be the 3rd day of they are not eating. They are drinking water and I've been giving nutridrench and today they took in a bit of slurry i made with their grain and squash. I squirted some in their mouths. They seem better but I"m worried about how long can they go without eating.

Yes, if today is day 3, I would tempt them to eat every hour.

A bit of sugar water or waterered down peanut butter can give a bit of a boost. Often 2 minutes after a little warm sugar water, you can get some sloppy peanut butter in them, and then 2 to 5 minutes after that try feed crumbled up.

Repeat every hour until they eat on their own.

But yes, keep them in little warm dim crates until they pep up.

I can't add anything that hasn't been already said. I think you are doing good. I agree that trying to get them to eat something is top priority now. Maybe try giving them something they really love to eat first then maybe mix some of their favorite with some feed. Maybe make a mash for them. The Nutri-Drench is good too. Sometimes I make a mash using some of the Nutri-Drench and feed a little at a time. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom