Caring for remaining chicks after SP

houseofhagemans

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2022
Long story short, received 18 day-old chicks day before yesterday and yesterday one started laying around with its eyes closed, pooping white diarrhea, and refusing to eat or drink. We've been doing a lot of researching since then and the only thing that seems to match up with symptoms is salmonella pullorum.

We are so afraid of losing the whole flock.. Though the rest of them seem healthy as can be. The sick one has been in a box inside the brooder, but the others have been able to get in there from time to time, so it's not a true quarantine. I think we are planning on putting it out if it's misery today but I'm worried about the potential of others getting sick. What should I be doing? Disinfecting everything and hoping for the best? At what point after this can I relax and assume they're going to be fine?

Long story short, received 18 day-old chicks day before yesterday and yesterday one started laying around with its eyes closed, pooping white diarrhea, and refusing to eat or drink. We've been doing a lot of researching since then and the only thing that seems to match up with symptoms is salmonella pullorum.

We are so afraid of losing the whole flock.. Though the rest of them seem healthy as can be. The sick one has been in a box inside the brooder, but the others have been able to get in there from time to time, so it's not a true quarantine. I think we are planning on putting it out if it's misery today but I'm worried about the potential of others getting sick. What should I be doing? Disinfecting everything and hoping for the best? At what point after this can I relax and assume they're going to be fine?
Just to clarify, there are a total of 18 chicks that were a day old, not chicks that are 18 days old.

Where did the chicks come from? Hatchery?

Please post photos of the chicks, your brooder, their butts and their poop.

How warm is your brooder on the warm side (list temperature please) and on the cool side?

What are you feeding?

If the chicks were shipped, then she may be suffering from shipping stress. Work on hydration a little sugar water would be good or if you have it, a couple of drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench twice a day, then drops of plain water. Keep her butt cleaned from pasting.

If it is shipping stress you can also add a few drops off Apple Cider Vinegar (good stuff with the mother) to their water. Dropper feed your little one that is suffering some.

Good luck. Prayers it's not salmonella. And that all stay well.

Back
Top Bottom