Caring for survivor of fisher attack -

tierney

Hatching
Oct 16, 2015
A fisher cat killed my five pullets and began on the adults. I rescued the one he had but she is injured. I got antibiotics, pain relievers and eye ointment from the vet and she seems to be doing better. She has survived one week living in a kennel in my house, eating little but drinking from an eyedropper I offer, and listening to Mozart (no kidding - very calming.) She has trouble locating her food and I have devised ways to help her. (I suspect she cannot see and am hoping that's temporary.) Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.....

She needs to be kept in as non-changing and as small a place as you have until her sight returns. And if her sight does not return familiar quarters will allow her to adapt to finding the feed and water cup by ear and memory. A metal feed cup will help in this if you will drizzle out her food into it a little at a time so that she can home in on the sound.

Thank you - makes sense. What to do if her sight does not return? Can she have a positive quality of life living in a kennel? She seems quite content right now.

Thank you - makes sense. What to do if her sight does not return? Can she have a positive quality of life living in a kennel? She seems quite content right now.
That's a decision only you can make. In my opinion, keeping her confined to a kennel for life would not be the kindest thing for her. She may seem "quite content" right now, because she's healing. Could be she's someone shocky yet. She may always just live quietly in her kennel, not getting agitated, but I don't know if that necessarily shows contentment.

Thank you for your reply. I'll see how this unfolds. Either she is more able to find her food or her vision is improving. Either way, she does seem to be improving each day. This will be an on-going assessment, for sure. I'll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom