Carnation instant breakfast powder

zinia8

Songster
12 Years
Mar 19, 2011
Reels Corner, PA.
I have some instant breakfast powder and was wondering if I could sprinkle it on the chicken feed without complications? I am concerned about the sodium containt which is 100 mg and sugars 18g total carbs 27g.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't use it because of the issues you mentioned and I just prefer not to feed my girls anything sweetened or with artificial stuff added. Again, simply my opinion. On the other hand, my cat loves stuff like that but he doesn't lay eggs.
pop.gif
Happy New Year!

I would think the sugar in it wouldn't be good for them. I don't know if they use artificial sweeteners, but I know too much sugar gives chicks "poopy butt" don't know if the sugar in the IB would give them diarrhea.

I would give it to them. Not like that is all they are eating. A bunch of chickens sharing a dozen jelly belly jelly beans (~18 grams sugar) and eating 1/7th of a hot dog (~100g sodium) isn't going to have any noticeable effect when sprinkled on their feed. And seeing as carbs are basically sugars, imagine how high carb a chicken diet is with feed made of mostly corn and grains?

Shoot, chocolate or not, it's just a dressing on their food once in a while. Just don't only feed them instant brakfast. LOL I mean they eat all kinds of things in moderation. A gram of cocoa powder isn't going to cause any more issue than when they decide to eat an entire rhubarb plant with 2 foot wide leaves.

I kind of feel like most processed human foods high in sugar and fats shouldn't even be eaten by humans, much less poultry. Conversely, I don't want to eat a dead mouse, but my chickens would! That said, I love carnation instant breakfast, but I'd bet the chooks prefer a handful of oatmeal or flax seed.

The recycling supervisor found a whole display of baby cereal in the recycling dumpsters recently. It was within a month of going out of date. She called me up, and I picked it up for my gals. Every other day I pour one box of the baby cereal in a large dog bowl and fill it with water. I don't have to stir - because before I can get the water in they are all gathered around urging me to step away so they can dive in. They have really enjoyed it and I've seen no ill effects. It is in addition to regular feed, just a treat. I was lucky enough to have friends in the right place at the right time. I would use the carnation if I were you. My gals love when I spoil them with a special snack from time to time.

Of course I have 43 lovely gals, so each hen is only getting a very small portion.
Good luck. I'm sure you know what's best for yours.

Well maybe I'll sprinkle some on some oatmeal and let them go at it.(just as a treat). I won't give them the chocolate or cappuccino ones, I'll keep them for myself.

Back
Top Bottom