Carolyn23

Carolyn23

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 2, 2014
Hi from Florida. We are raising several different breeds of chickens and have found them to be fascinating. They all seem to have different personalities and are very entertaining. We do have 2 leghorns and they were such great egg layers but now when we get an egg they are very soft shelled. We do use the calcium and Omega chicken feed for them. My husband thinks they are getting old. They are probably 3 years old. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Carol

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2, older production leghorns often seem to have problems with the egg shells (they aren't bred for longevity but to be replaced when they are around 2.5 years old.). Even if they have oyster shell available, you can try adding extra calcium to their feed (if they are in a mixed flock, giving them extra high calcium treats or even calcium tablets etc) that sometimes helps. Also if you have them on a high protein diet, lowering it sometimes helps making the eggs smaller which helps shells.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

X2 on Kelsie's advice.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have a hen that has issues with soft shells and she is 3 1/2 years of age. I found that giving her human calcium with extra magnesium and Vit D fixed her soft shells right up. Keep the treats down to a minimum too so they are eating as much calcium enriched layer feed as possible. I broke the tab in quarters and gave her a half tabs worth stuffed into raisins once a day. She does very well and her shells are nice and hard.

Good luck and I hope you can get this solved soon!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You've received some good information from Kelsie2290 and TwoCrows. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in firming up those egg shells.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom