Carpenter ants damaging barn!

Yellowbirdfarm

Hatching
Jul 11, 2020
Hello Fellow Chickeners!

I’ve run into a bit of a dilemma. I have noticed droves of carpenter ants in and around the barn and I’m afraid there presence has confirmed we may have some structural issues to deal with in the near future.

Anyway, this was obvious something I needed to deal with quickly and effectively so I used Terro ant killer with Borax. I’ve used this before in the house and never found a casualty so I assume they died closer to their nest.

My fear is one of our chickens will ingest a tasty little ant tainted with Terro and it possibly even get into an egg.

has anyone had any experience in this area? Any words of wisdom.

We’ve been keeping chickens about 10 years now and this is my first post, so very nice to find all of you!

Josh

Hello and welcome to BYC, sorry no one replied. I know nothing about carpenter ants, but regular ants I treat with permethrin spray, which is safe for chickens.

:welcome :frow I had carpenter ants invading our barn. I sprayed the area where I saw them with permethrin. I checked a couple of days later and poked around the area and didn't find any ants.

Back
Top Bottom