Carpenter Bees bore a hole in chicken hutch perch to deposit eggs

Quote:
2nd this. They are a nusiance. Loud, and will eat a hole in ANY wood.

I would like to see them eat through Ipe (prounouced e-pay). It is a brazilian hardwood, was considered a trash tree that got in the way and destroyed cutting heads, up until recent years. I carry around a 1" think piece about 4' long in my truck for trouble (road rage drivers or animals in road). It is light enough I can swing as wildly as I would care to and strong enough to split open a dozen skulls without knocking a splinter off. Very possibly the hardest wood next to petrified wood (looked it up, there is a Jamaican ironwood that is rated as worlds hardest). One time I cut a huge chunk off the palm of my hand when I slipped on a piece of Ipe that was cut on a 45 degree bevel, it was as sharp as a knife and as hard as steel. No doubt in my mind with a hard enough swing I could cut the limb off an animal if need be. I end up with enough scrap from jobs that I may end up building a coop out of Ipe one day.....hardest part is finding a big enough space to store the stuff until I can get enough to build it....I live in a duplex in the city so it can be a challenge saving wood. I already have 4 piles 4 feet tall stashed all around the house.

Or massaranduba wood, although not as hard as Ipe still a very tough wood. If one could find a stash of this stuff on craigslist they could build a nearly indestructible coop. Don't forget to wax the ends of your cuts!!
smile.png

Course this is just thinking out loud, without a stash of free wood this stuff is way to expensive to build your coop out of...but who knows what you can find out there on craigslist. I know a carpenter who built his entire 2 story house for him, his wife and 5 kids almost entirely free...paid for sheetrock, wiring and plumbing. He then went on to build a small place for his pregnant daughter and son-in-law in the back of his land....nearly free as well. He is an extreme case tho, goes to show what 1 really hard working man can do!

I was thinking they may be beneficial as well - but I've never dealt with them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpenter_bee
Wiki says their structural damage is minimal and they are good pollinators. I wouldn't worry about them harming your chickens, for one they are probably doing their own thing - bees are not generally aggressive, wasps are. Two, chickens seem to know to avoid bees. We have bees all over our yard because we are bee keepers, I have tried feeding them drones (no stinger) and they will not eat them. I'm not sure if they have been stung trying to eat them, or if they just know to avoid bees, but they will leave them alone and go tearing across the run to chase a fly. Good luck!

The Waddler, I am intrigued re: IPE. Can you put nails into it or drill for screws? What do you need to cut it??? I don't drive, so no encounters with road rage (I hope) but alot of critters out when I walk, coyotes, fox, raccoon, big dogs everyone turns loose etc.- a walking stick out of that stuff would be great. I'd call it "the great Kabonger!"

Back
Top Bottom