Carport to Coop....has anyone used a carport for a coop?

KristinS

Chirping
Apr 19, 2016
Idaho
I have purchased a 20X35 carport and enclosed it. The floor is dirt, and pine shavings. This has been a very costly build, but the chickens have full run and plenty of room. There is plenty of ventilation on the longer sides where the siding meets the roof and at the top of the roof itself. I have noticed that, of course, there are wet areas where snow has melted next to the outside walls. Not a lot of wet area and no standing water, inside is 98% -ish dry. There is also condensation on the inside of the roof that freezes.
I was not planning on insulating the coop, but after this winter I think I will. I have two roosters and the lower one in the pecking order has minor frost bite on his comb and wattles. I feel so bad. I built this coop because last year they were in and "old Hickory" 8X12 shed. In that shed they did not have enough ventilation but they were warm because I took the time to insulate it. With the little amount of ventilation in the Hickory shed there was ammonia build up when they were indoors for days due to snow. I struggled with this all last winter and decided I was not going to do it again.
I wanted more chickens, and knew I would need more room, so I decided to build the Car Port coop and their 35X 40 chain link run. Right now it is just one large open room for them. Eventually I will have one large run and three smaller one's for the roosters.
Has anyone else done something similar? I have some questions if you have.

Attachments

• 20180107_141044.jpg
    20180107_141044.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20180107_141116.jpg
    20180107_141116.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20180107_141211.jpg
    20180107_141211.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 20180107_141321.jpg
    20180107_141321.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20180107_141454.jpg
    20180107_141454.jpg
    771.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Wow! Those lucky birds! How many hens and roostrs do you have? Maybe you could add a smaller (prefab?) coop within the coop for them to roost in so frost bite isn’t an issue. Or build a boxed in are with roof and three sides that can warm up with their body heat? Otherwise, yes, I bet you’ll have to insilate st least tve roof.

If you have condensation and frostbite, you have a humidity problem and do not have adequate ventilation. You have identified the larger source as snow melt. Not much you can do now but add it to your summer to do list. Work to move the runoff away from the shed. French drain, trenches, roof extension, gravel... You can see how the snow slid off the roof and it's just going to keep melting and add to the problem. If it's not a brick, shovel the snow away from the building and see if the interior dries out. Are you missing the ridge cap? It will be a wonderful set up for your harsh winters.

Wow! Those lucky birds! How many hens and roostrs do you have? Maybe you could add a smaller (prefab?) coop within the coop for them to roost in so frost bite isn’t an issue. Or build a boxed in are with roof and three sides that can warm up with their body heat? Otherwise, yes, I bet you’ll have to insilate st least tve roof.
Right now there 18 chickens in the coop, 2 roosters and the rest hens. That is a great idea. Thank you for your reply.

If you have condensation and frostbite, you have a humidity problem and do not have adequate ventilation. You have identified the larger source as snow melt. Not much you can do now but add it to your summer to do list. Work to move the runoff away from the shed. French drain, trenches, roof extension, gravel... You can see how the snow slid off the roof and it's just going to keep melting and add to the problem. If it's not a brick, shovel the snow away from the building and see if the interior dries out. Are you missing the ridge cap? It will be a wonderful set up for your harsh winters.

I am not saying you are wrong about the ventilation, but let me explain that the floor is dirt and pine shavings. The chickens scratch around like chickens do, and the air gets dusty but it doesn't stay that way long. It just seems like there is plenty of air movement in there with no actual breezes other than maybe at the top of the walls and roof. I could be totally wrong about that though.
I agree that the snow melt is the culprit of the higher humidity inside and outside. I have a plan for next spring of making an angled cement "sidewalk" all the way around so that when the snow melts the water drains away. We should have a tractor soon, and when that happens we will take your advice and move the runoff away from the shed. I have moved the snow somewhat but it is now almost gone because it has been much warmer. The ridge cap is not missing, there is air gap where it covers the two sides of the roof at the top, that is what the 4th picture is showing.
I have some pine bedding pellets that I think I will put down where the water has come in and see if that will help dry it up.
I really appreciate your response and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom