1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Carport to Coop/Run Conversion

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FLSweetTater, Apr 22, 2014.

1. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Wow that is VERY WELL done!!!

You can fashion a poop scooper by putting hardware cloth over a traditional poop scooper you buy at the feed store (with a nice long handle) I have read.

I use a kitty litter scoop but that is such a large area you may need to fashion your own "kitty litter scoop."

Wear a mask when sifting sand. I just mention this in case you will be removing poo.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  2. FLSweetTater

FLSweetTater Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2014
    Here's the chicken bed - King Size! I'm going to make a poop hammock to go underneath it.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Well if that isn't the cutest thing!!! What an amazing idea! Tucked in bed for the night.

A poop hammock is going to be more work than scooping sand IMO but give it a whirl and see if it is best for you! I saw the poop hammock thread awhile ago.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rainekitty

Rainekitty Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2014
    That. Is. Awesome.

5. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    looks great and yall did a great job.

6. FLSweetTater

Mar 25, 2014
    Last week we moved the chickens from the brooder to the coop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made a larger feeder from a tutorial I found on here. It is working great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And next I have to make a new watering system. Right now they are just using what we used in the brooder - poultry nipples screwed into the bottom of these small plastic jugs. I'm going to make something with a 5 gallon bucket and PVC pipe - another tutorial I found on here. Just love this site!!

[​IMG]

7. FLSweetTater

Mar 25, 2014
    And today I added our fancy schmancy poop hammocks - I'm thinking the black & white damask pattern will help conceal the droppings in between cleanings...we'll see. I used plastic tablecloth material, doubled it over & and sewed it so the plastic is on both sides. That way when I hose it down it should dry out better. I folded the ends and sewed a pocket for the rods that hold it. I used 1/2" pvc pipe for the rods, just because I had extra laying around. Then I used hook & eyes to attach it under the roost.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus I put up some wall d├ęcor. Next I will start working on the exterior landscaping around the coop.

[​IMG]

8. EastTXChickens

EastTXChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    East of Nacogdoches
    :D Your family and the coop artistry made me smile. Fantastic job too!

9. newchickmomma4

newchickmomma4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    California
    Love love love this idea!!!! Your decor and coop/run is great!

10. chickchic9

chickchic9 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2014
    Silver Springs, Florida
    I live in central Florida too. So it's especially nice to be able to see someone else taking advantage of the warmth here, and being able to build such a fine open-air enclosure !

Great ideas , and so well done ! Both the humans and the chickens should have lots of pleasure from all this effort - best of luck !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by