Carport to Coop/Run Conversion

My chickens could start to lay in two weeks, so I figured it was time to get their nesting boxes ready. Here's an old beat-up table I found at a thrift store for $1. Doesn't that just scream: NESTING BOX to you?

A little paint & Viola!

The basked on top is screwed into the table so the chickens won't knock it over when they perch on the edge.

I also had to make new poop hammocks. The plastic table cloth material started tearing and getting holes in it. It cleaned up very well, but wasn't durable. So now I'm trying some very sturdy outdoor fabric that has some water repellent qualities. I also sprayed it with scotch guard. I'm pretty sure it will be durable, but I don't know how it will clean up. So we'll see. I want something functional AND pretty. Is that too much to ask?

Another thrift store find: a vintage hand-embroidered picture. I almost kept this to put in MY house.

I'll put a few more photos in the next post.

More thrift store finds turned nesting boxes.

Overall view of the Master Bedroom. Oh, and if you're wondering were the Master Bathroom is, well, you're looking at that too.

Can you tell I love thrift stores and garage sales? These cheap, unique plates were fun to hunt for. I'm going to do another plate display wall in my house.

Outside view. I'm not in love with the butterflies on the outside wall, so I'm still hunting for something different.

I found a similar sign on Etsy for $35. I printed it off, copied the image and painted one myself.

Hope you've enjoyed looking - we're sooooooooooooo glad it is finished. Now just waiting patiently for eggs - and lots of them!

I can't resist adding a couple of pictures of my daughters. This is my oldest with the one rooster we are keeping. (We have a few other roosters to get rid of yet) The rooster's name is Sue, as in a boy named Sue. He is a bantam cochin. He has feathers that go down his feet and flare out. He waddles around like a little cowboy wearing chaps. I'm hoping because he's so small he won't bother the full size chickens too much.

And this is my youngest daughter with Oreo. I think she is trying to squeeze out an egg. Oreo is also a bantam cochin. Most of our chickens are full size laying hens. But we have a few cochins, silkies and a frizzle to show in 4-H.

You did a wonderful job on that!! I wish I had something like that to start with. The decorations make it look so different than any other coop/run that I've seen!!

By the way I decorate my coop with suns, metal or ceramic I repaint them. I also am not in love with the butterflies, you can obviously paint so why not a mural? Again I love it! A fellow garage saler, thrifter, and occasional garbage picker lol :lol:

I can't resist adding a couple of pictures of my daughters. This is my oldest with the one rooster we are keeping. (We have a few other roosters to get rid of yet) The rooster's name is Sue, as in a boy named Sue. He is a bantam cochin. He has feathers that go down his feet and flare out. He waddles around like a little cowboy wearing chaps. I'm hoping because he's so small he won't bother the full size chickens too much.

And this is my youngest daughter with Oreo. I think she is trying to squeeze out an egg. Oreo is also a bantam cochin. Most of our chickens are full size laying hens. But we have a few cochins, silkies and a frizzle to show in 4-H.

I love the idea for the end table nesting box!! I'm thinking about turning regular dresser drawers in to boxes, and just slide them in and out of the coop from the outside.

I know this thread is a year old, but this is exactly what I need! I may have to change all of my plans and go with this instead. Looks great, you did a wonderful job!

You've done an awesome job! I wish I had the room for something like that. I'm prod of my coop but yours is extremely well done. All that hard work paid off!

Back
Top Bottom