Carprofen or Tylenol

Chelseyraelynn

In the Brooder
May 19, 2022
Hello! I have an emergency. My chicken was attacked by a dog. A couple of pretty deep lacerations, abrasions, and a couple of punctures. I sutured the lacerations, leaving a small opening at the bottom of the biggest one for drainage. I cleaned the wound pretty well. Antibiotic ointment applied afterwards. My questions is not about pain management. I gave her a 1/6 ish of a childrens Tylenol chewable tablet earlier. I don’t have a lot for pain management after the initial numbing for suturing. I do have dog carprofen and childrens tylenol. Which are better and at what dosage for a deep wound such as these? Also she is taking cephalexin for infection prevention.

Never give chickens tylenol (acetominophen, paracetamol) because it is toxic. Carprofen or rimadyl is okay at the proper dosage, but most vets do bloodwork (on dogs) to make sure the liver is working normally. Many use aspirin for 2-3 days 1/2 tablet of a low dose 81mg aspirin given orally once or twice a day. Putting aspirin in the water can alter the taste, and chickens may avoid it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom