@ Carrie and Scrambled Egg>>> ARRIVED!!!!

Quote:
All I know is that there are many on this site who are very gratetful for you timely advise, and laughing aside, I'm certain that you are a wonderful parent.

oh my!!! ... you all are so very kind and yes my kids did luv the cereal and strawberry marshmallows (altho we have just this year gotten them in ... my daughter bbqued them on the gas stove last nite as it was raining lol!)
Actually we do have kellogs cereal here but a very limited choice (the cornflake varieties and choco and regular pops and rice krispies >that is it)
I am eating some snickerdoodles now (it is 3 in the afternoon here) > hardly anyone here bakes cookies... I have been unable to find cream of tartar so thank you very much for sending that too (I luv to bake and you need it for so many things involving eggwhites) >>>I can't wait to try out the tutti-fruity cake lol...that will be fun (think I might try making those cupcake chickens with that for easter)
What I miss here also are the nice frostings especially the fluffy kind (when I lived in USA they had in in a pkg >so not the ready made one) ... I have tried to make it myself but it is the one thing I have failed at (recipe for me anyone?>I have tried several of the "seven minute fluffy type icings with the corn syrup but it goes horribly wrong each time and they do not have dried eggwhite here for the other recipe for it>if you have tips on making your own fluffy icing (not the butter cream one ) I would be willing to try again!)
>>>for those wanting my wish list ... hmmmm well graham crackers ... Butterfingers (they have nothing remotely resembling it here)... solid food coloring (a friend sent me some Wilton icing tips and I am going to try and teach dd some basic icing and decorating)...oh! and any neato breakfast cereals...my kids luv that! ...oh>and koolaid!
In return we have lovely teas here including medicinal and every herbal variety you can imagine and I will be happy to send you some!

Last edited:
If everyone would send just one or two things it would be awesome. Unfortunately, flat-rate does not apply to our sister byc'er here. But many hands will make light the job, right? I so wanted to fill the spaces in the box with butterfingers, since Diana, poor thing, fights the children for them
lau.gif

I could not find the fluffy icing in the box here
hu.gif
maybe someone else could find it where they live?
Diana, you need to post your address since it is a long one.
frow.gif

She could use lots more of those instant sausage gravy mixes you find in the section of the store that carries gravy mixes.Oh, she quit wearing make up due to allergies and the only kind she could wear is Corn Silk in natural. I suggested Bare Escentuals as I only use it and it is approved by the American Cancer Society, has it's own sun block.
She also needs :
celery seeds
cereals... sweet as they only have the mueslix type
different flavored cake mixes-they have the basic
choc. chips
graham crackers/also type in box for pie crusts
Wow, I could have filled all the spaces in the box with Kool-Aid.
Scrambled Egg was awesome in helping me get this box off to her. Like I said, shipping is outrageous so if several people sent one or two things (won't matter if same things are sent) she could really give her kids a taste of "home". LOL Not like they get it everyday of their lives so it will be a treat.
hugs.gif
to Diana

If you are just beating egg whites for the frosting and don't have cream of tartar, you can substitute white vinegar (in the same ratio as cream of tartar, generally 1/8 teaspoon per egg white). No problem.

It is a little more difficult to substitute for cream of tartar in baking. White vinegar or lemon juice, in the ratio of 3 times the amount of cream of tartar called for, will provide the right amount of acid for most recipes. But you have to counter this excess liquid by removing liquid from somewhere else in the recipe. Baking is an exact science and messing around the recipe can create problems like cakes made with vinegar or lemon juice have a coarser grain and are more prone to shrinking than those made with cream of tartar etc...
Just because the chemistry is right dosen't mean the recipe will be the same.
Baking is a pain in my neck but here is what I use for 7-min frosting when I make 4 layer coconut cake (two 9' round cakes, split into four layers.)

Frosting
3 large egg whites
12 ounces sugar about (1 3/4 cups)
1/3 cup coconut water
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar (see my substitues above)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon coconut extract (or what ever flavor you want)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

1. Bring 1 quart water to a boil in a saucepan and decrease to maintain a simmer.
2. Meanwhile, place egg whites, coconut water, sugar, salt and cream of tarter in a medium-sized bowl.
3. Place bowl over the simmering water and immediately begin beating with hand mixer at slow speed for 1 minute, then high speed for another 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and beat in coconut and vanilla extracts, beating for an additional minute.
5. Allow frosting to sit for 5 minutes before using. Allow about 3/4 cup frosting per cake layer. Repeat until the final layer and frost top and sides with last of the frosting and coconut.

Last edited:
@ seismicwonder2... yep...that is the recipe type I fail so miserably at... someone once also posted a recipe using dry eggwhites ...only thing is they dont have the dry eggwhite here
gig.gif
It sounds scrumptious though and I shall have another go!
Yes I am pretty well set with packages of choc chips since menkot sent me several pckg (they also discovered a "flatrate postal pack that they said was quite a bit cheaper) and now ozark/scrambled egg sent me a couple more... weeeee in seventh heaven here
wee.gif
(I make a batch and then freeze and slice off just enuf for one batch in my microwave oven)
Really you guys this is way too much and honestly it is the thought that counts ...
love.gif
you guys
hugs.gif

Last edited:
There's a couple things that the recipe gods assume everyone knows about using eggs and egg whites that they don't tell you until you throw away at least a dozen eggs.

1. The whites MUST be at room temperature before starting anything. separate them and let them sit for an hour or so.

2. DO NOT use a plastic bowl to whip the whites, EVER! the molecular structure of the plastic holds proteins and oils that will make your fluffy whites break down. Metal is best to transfer heat from the steam and "cook" the whites.

3. The METAL bowl must be ABSOLUTELY CLEAN! not even a speck of oil or film of washing soap.

4. NOT EVEN A SPECK OF YOLK! If you get some yolk in your whites, put them in the fridge and cook them for breakfast. Start over, remember, NO YOLK!

5. no plastic beaters or whisks. (see #2)

6. Do not let the hot water in the pan touch the bowl. you want to gently warm the whites to temperature, not poach them.

hope this helps in your quest for the perfect fluffy Iceing

Last edited:
Please, if someone knows of a "flat-rate" to the Netherlands, please let me know. My post mistress couldn't find one and that would make things so much easier on everyone!! I know we have some post office members, can someone find out for us? Please?
diana, you are so worth it with all the advice you provide for all of us on our chicken emergencies, we all thank you!!

@ seismic wonder>>> you know the more I think on it the more I think it must have something to do with the hot water part (not close enuf or too close?) I will be particularly watchful on that aspect this time. I am also wondering if there is such a thing as concentrated food flavoring...I luv wilton type decorating and it has totally escaped me how I could possibly make something like a cherry or strawberry flavored icing for a cake

@ Hoosier >>>Ozark hen posted more things she finaggled out of me at gunpoint (like the cornsilk... I dont often wear makeup and they USED to have it here and now everyone has discontinued carrying it (saying the importer no longer offers it... the last box I got was several years ago (yes I am very frugal with it lol)

...actually many of the things I REALLY miss (like DILL pickles (instead of those gawd awful sweet/sour ones they have here >>>I am a hardcore DILL/GARLIC pickle fanatic) simply can't be sent because of the weight (and think what would happen if the jar busted!!!!) >>>same with many canned things like ohhh....SOLO Poppyseed filling... pumpkin (yeah...they do not have canned pumpkin here!!! I make it myself now from fresh pumpkin but it is quite an undertaking!) and ya cant send pizza and donuts in the mail either (nearest pizza hut is in germany) ROOT BEER (for rootbeer floats) they dont have that here but you are not allowed to send that in the post if I remember correctly...so you see it is rather hard to sift thru the stuff that is really viable to put on a list....
Oh!!! I dont think I mentioned JELLO> the stuff they have here is worthless...no taste and doesnt gel the same way as our jello...wont work in any of the recipes I have.and ACORN SQUASH seeds... I have never seen acorn squash here and I luv it.
(I split in half and fill with homemade applesauce and drizzle with honey and cinnamon and bake it...mmmmmm) > ML sent me some but the summer was so lousy they all rotted away (I was wearing a winter coat and gloves in august that freaky summer)

re that flatrate pkg...I remember menkot saying it was only an envelope (but it was pretty big!) so no boxes would work with that... I really know nothing more about it
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom