Carrie Mae Pooping Water

Nov 2, 2022
NE Oklahoma
Carrie Mae went broody a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't able to set up a Broody Jail until this past weekend, so she had been trying to sit on everyone's eggs. We pulled her out a few times a day so she would eat and drink. I was finally able to jail her Saturday evening.

She has since stopped making broody booms and has gone back to her normal chatter. So she's ready to go back to her flock except I'm concerned about her poop.

The first day or two in jail, she made big nasty smelly loose poops. But now she's pooping lakes. It seems like she's drinking a lot of water - not sure why since she's in the house where it's cool. A couple of months ago she had watery poo and it was suggested I give her calcium, that it was most likely reproductive. Does coming out of broodiness cause problems? I started her on calcoum thid evening.

I would greatly appreciate any insight!

CM is 9 months old, BCMarans, Kalmback layer pellets.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230509_134135.jpg
    20230509_134135.jpg
    821.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Is her crop emptying overnight?

Giving extra calcium for a few day won't hurt.
I'd try giving a little white rice with buttermilk to see if that helps firm up the poop.

Even though she's broken broodiness, she still probably has to go through a hormone switch. Usually they molt, then resume laying. Sometimes things get a bit glitchy, so hopefully she'll straighten out.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply!

Her crop is empty in the mornings. I happen to have both rice and buttermilk so I'll give it a try.

I wondered what broody aftereffects there would be. This is my first flock and first broody hen.

Thanks again for your insight!

Back
Top Bottom