carton incubating small eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Akane, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I got some really small bantam eggs today and they all have loose air cells. I decided to incubate in cartons for that reason but the eggs are so small they can nearly sit sideways in all the cartons I have. Any ideas? Maybe it's just time to buy a turner....

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Back cotton balls around them?

3. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    Get a smaller carton?? Maybe that's too obvious.. Just kidding.

4. l'uccello

l'uccello Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    S.F. Bay Area
    We've incubated partridge eggs in cartons with a bit of tissue paper stuffed into the bottom of each cell that allowed us to position them. We've got small bantam eggs in cartons right now, each sitting on a little square of bubble wrap and that works well too. Anything that keeps them stable would work, I'm sure.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  5. 98 gt

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    l'uccello :

We've incubated partridge eggs in cartons with a bit of tissue paper stuffed into the bottom of each cell that allowed us to position them. We've got small bantam eggs in cartons right now, each sitting on a little square of bubble wrap and that works well too. Anything that keeps them stable would work, I'm sure.

Instead of bubblewrap use something breathable...​

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I have no cartons that size and I can't wait a week for an order from online. Only thing I could try is going to the store and buying a dozen small eggs but I doubt they'd fit even that. If the store even has eggs below medium. They are just barely too big for the cartons I put the coturnix eggs in.

I might just try stuffing some paper towels around them. Not sure how it would effect moisture though but I don't want to use any plastic.

7. 98 gt

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    That should work, that's what I did with my quail eggs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by