Castile Soap?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by e72071, Aug 5, 2018.

1. e72071

e72071 Songster

Apr 1, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    I recently got a sample pack of green goo products. I see 1 of the items is a wash for chickens which is Castile soap. I’m assuming that Castile soap is safe for chickens but what are your thoughts on using it to lightly bath your flock? If it works I’d rather buy a less expensive version of Castile soap but looking for inputs. I’ve never bathed my flock before but oh my can they use it!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    There's really no reason to bathe a chicken...unless they have a bad case of dingle-blobs on their butts(tho easier and much less unpleasant to trim poop and feathers off) or you are showing your chickens.
    Any soap will strip off the water resistance they have worked so hard to spread over all their feathers from the oil gland at the base of the tail.

Castille might be 'natural', but I don't think it's 'mild'.

You might ask this question in the show bird forum.

I would love to see a link to this product, or the full name and brand....am betting it's mostly a marketing ploy.

3. PouleChick

PouleChick Crowing

Apr 6, 2016
    SW France
    Castile soap is just very pure olive oil soap - or that is what it is supposed to be and has been in Spain for 1000's of years - who knows if some company has changed that to make a quick buck though!

OhZark Biddies and aart like this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I didn't know this......was thinking of Dr Bronners Peppermint Castile.

5. PouleChick

PouleChick Crowing

Apr 6, 2016
    SW France
    I'm guessing that just has the peppermint added - not sure how 'pure' Dr Bronners is but certainly heard lots of talk of it on natural cleaning type blogs etc.

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: