Cat a Predator?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Barnyard Dawg, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I have been noticing a cat that I have never seen before, viewing my chickens. Last evening the cat actually came into the yard I noticed my chickens go on alert making noise and their necks out streched, should I consider this a predator and a threat to my chickens? I would feel better knowing the cat belonged to someone and not a wild cat I observed no collar. The cat is between 6-8 #'s maybe, the adult chickens seem agitated by it's presents.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH ya I would watch the cat...pet or not it will eat chicken!~

3. summerwindsfarm

summerwindsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    Occasionally a cat will catch an adult chicken but its not very likely. Cats are curious about chickens but usually end up scared of them. My hens take the cats food away from them lol.

They *will* get young chicks without a mother to protect them though and very small bantam birds.

And a cat that belongs to someone is just as likely to do that as a feral cat. Cats are natural born hunters..they dont have to be hungry to hunt. But adult chickens are really too big for them to consider prey..mostly they just sit and watch them.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    A cat usually won't even attempt to catch an adult hen, unless it is starving.

Chances are its just curious

5. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    My cat "loves" my baby chicks & I double cage them to protect them from him. And, today, he even tried to get one of my huge Buff Orpingtons as well. I don't think he would have succeeded, but he did TRY!!

That cat needs a bell maybe??! [​IMG]

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Yesterday, I saw my 3 month old leghorn pullet chasing one of my barn cats. Then she had a whole flock running after her! The poor kitty!

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

We house a colony of ferals in the same barn as the chickens BUT we use biosecurity to keep them separated, can you see the predatory instinct in their eyes? We appreciate them at another level, though, NO RODENTS! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  8. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    My only major losses have been due to neighborhood cats and feral cats. Stepped out the door in time to see a 5 lb cat rip the throat out of one of my Orpingtons a few months back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by