Cat and Chickens

ChickenDude12345

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
Northern NH
Hi, I have a cat that is very interested in mI have a cat that is very interested in my almost 12 week old chickens. He always tries to get outside when I am free ranging them since they were probably eight weeks old. He is still much bigger than them and I am almost certain that he would try to kill one. If he’s been interested all these weeks what age do you think they’ll be safe from him?

All cats are different, we have 9 cats and approximately 50 birds. One of our cats sleeps on the coup, one will wander with free range chickens and the others while curious at times have very little interest in them. Cats hunt small prey, I'd imagine a 12 week old chicken would not be on the dinner menu.

Hey! I don't think I would be able to give you an answer for exactly how long until he loses interest in the chicks. But I have found cats tend to still show some interest in adult hens. I have not yet had a problem with any of them attacking the chickens, but I try my best to keep them separated. In the end it just depends on the behavior of your cat.

All cats are different, we have 9 cats and approximately 50 birds. One of our cats sleeps on the coup, one will wander with free range chickens and the others while curious at times have very little interest in them. Cats hunt small prey, I'd imagine a 12 week old chicken would not be on the dinner menu.
Ok thanks for the advice

Hey! I don't think I would be able to give you an answer for exactly how long until he loses interest in the chicks. But I have found cats tend to still show some interest in adult hens. I have not yet had a problem with any of them attacking the chickens, but I try my best to keep them separated. In the end it just depends on the behavior of your cat.
Update: I just had to chase down my cat to stop a attempted murder. Guess I’ll have to keep him in for a few more weeks until the chickens are bigger☹️ Ugggggh

Some catscouldn't care less about birds, some will hint full grown hens (usually these are the ferals running around).

My cat absolutely is fascinated by chicks, especially quail. No clue ifnit a good fascination or bad, but once the chicken chicks are about 6 weeks, she doesn't care anymore at all.

Yea I really hope he loses interest in them soon.

We introduced our cat when our chickens were about 5 months old ( although that’s because of when we got our cat) and the chickens started attacking her. She never went up to them again 😂

We introduced our cat when our chickens were about 5 months old ( although that’s because of when we got our cat) and the chickens started attacking her. She never went up to them again 😂
That’s kind of what I want my chickens to do when they get older. Not necessarily attack my cat but kind of just scare it so it’ll stay away

Back
Top Bottom