Cat attack, hen skin ripped,"PIC GRAPHIC"Help please

emvickrey

ChowDown Silkie Farm
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Hornbeak, Tennessee
I went out to feed and water and a couple of the young hens we let out everyday came running to me and around my feet and I noticed one had something hanging from its neck. It made another circle and it was its skin hanging with feathers still attatched and I can see the meat and all the goodies that lay under the skin. The open area is about 2 1/2 inches long and goes from nearly the right side of her neck to the entire left side. I'm guessing it was from that stray cat I saw last night. I have her in a small dog crate. This is what I suspect I have to do but wanted to ask the experts first.
I first need to cut off the skin and feathers that is hanging and trim the feathers that are in tact out of the way of the open area and apply Neosporin to the wound. Keep her quiet and in the dark with plenty of food and water. I don't have any antibiotics except for pill form that I give my dog. They are TMP-S 960 mg. If I can cut or scrape some of it off the pill and maybe put on a treat or something I can do that if it is safe for her but I don't know how much. The pic is graphic so I have warned you in advance. Hope your not eating right now.

injuredhen.jpg

Last edited:
I thought about that but wasn't sure. It is a fairly new injury. No knats or flies got to it yet either and the blood around the edges was just starting to dry.

I never heard a thing either. The dog that protects them all was in the house.

After I put Neosporin on it shoud I wrap it. She is in the house so no bugs will get to it. Does it need wrapped or leave open to dry.

Will the skin grow back? Her cage mates won't hurt her I discovered. They actuallly protected her the best they could from any other chicken getting near. These 3 have been together since hatching and are very protective of each other. They are very nice hens and I do't want to loose any of them. They will let me just reach down and pick them up, no problem. Except for today. I had to chase her down and corner her to get her.

If I need to cull her I need to go ahead and do it instead of her suffering. I would prefer to get her well so she could live. Whatever needs done, it will get done. Just let me know what I should do.

Keep her inside so the flies don't get to it! That would get bad quick! If you are going to keep her in, don't wrap it unles she starts messing with it! Try some poly-vi-sol (no iron) childrens liquid vitamins in her water to get her system to working on fighting infection. If you can't get it, give her sugar water. Keep her wound clean and dry. make sure she eats and drinks. Also keep the ointment on the wound! Good luck!!
fl.gif

Quote:
Thank you. She is inside and will stay here until healed. She is in a small dog crate right now but i'll move her to a little larger area. I have a large clear tub I use as a brooder and a 20 gal aquarium for the same purpose. I can put her in the aquarium which gives her less room but room for food and water. Then cover it with a towel so she can't see the babies in the other brooder.

I was advised to sew what I could of her skin back together but I don't know if I can stomach it. I'm getting queezy just thinking about it. The skin I thought was shreded but it is actually rolled up with feathers still attatched. Its like something just crapped her by one side of her neck and pulled the skin right on over to the other side. That is why I suspect a cat. I saw a stray here last night eating the dog food. I should have sent the dogs after it then.

Don't keep using the hydrogen peroxide though. It will damage the tissue. Betadine solution is good for this kind of wound.
Also keep in mind other animals have bad bacteria so you might have to start her on an antibiotic.
Good Luck and hopefully others will chime in.
Oh also make sure your ointment does NOT HAVE ANY PAIN KILLING INGREDIENTS IN IT OR ANYTHING WITH CAINE IN THE WORD.

I bet it wasn't a cat, unless you actually saw it. I had a young chick rip the skin off the back of his neck by sticking it through part of the fence wire and getting caught somehow. It healed up just fine by packing it with Neosporin and some baby aspirin for pain. He is a grown rooster now, but some of the hackles are missing under the outer feathers. They get themselves hurt in so many ways!

It may be too late to stitch the skin, but that in my opinion is the best course of action here. Definitely keep it clean and moist with the antibiotic ointment. Flush it daily with a solution of Betadine and water. You can use Catron spray to prevent flies from invading the wound. I would definitely put her on an antibiotic. It is possible to have her stitched up in a week or so, assuming the wound doesn't get infected. You'd probably need a vet to sedate her and trim the dead skin before stitching. We had this done with one of our hens who was flayed under the wing by a rooster. By the time the vet came (several hours later) the wound had already started to seal up so it was too late for stitches. We kept her inside and treated the wound for a week, then he came back and stitched her up and she recovered just fine. Best Wishes, Lynn

Back
Top Bottom