cat attacked baby chick

fanynany

Songster
Aug 22, 2020
Texas
so my momma hen had 5 babies, yesterday one went missing, we assumed a cat ate it, then today i let me momma out of her pen since she wanted to go out with her chicks then i see a cat ready to pounce and i run and scream in time for the cat to let the chick go and 3 were able to run with their mom and the one that got caught is alive but his little leg seems to be hurt, no blood or scratches i see but he can’t stand on that leg, i took him away from his mum and put him in a warm box with food and water, could his leg be broken or is he in shock or maybe it hurts? anything i could do for him ?

Attachments

• 0ED9A572-F469-4711-B42F-A98722B78A48.jpeg
    0ED9A572-F469-4711-B42F-A98722B78A48.jpeg
    605.5 KB · Views: 71
All of the above could be wrong. Keep it separated and warm and feed and water it often. See if it is able to get better. Hopefully, it can rejoin the broody. A chicken sling or chair might be of help if you need to raise it yourself. Get the cat away from your chicks. Here is some info on how to make a chicken sling chair:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Last edited:
All of the aboce could be wrong. Keep it separated and warm and feed and water it often. See if it is able to get better. Hopefully, it can rejoin the broody. A chicken sling or chair might be of help if you need to raise it yourself. Get the cat away from your chicks. Here is some info on how to make a chicken sling chair:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
I have him inside with another chick i rescued since the mom didn’t want it, it seems more relaxed when he’s with someone or else he tries to move around, when the other chick is there he falls asleep & they cuddle together, but i can take it out & i’ll take a look at the slings to see which ones i’m able to make, thanks!

she digs holes to outside the coop and pushes the bricks and the babies get out, there were 5 and now we’re down to two & one injured, i moved them to a different coop. The injured one still can’t move his little leg but he eats and drinks and kinda crawls around with that one strong leg.

Im not sure what’s wrong with his leg but he hops around with the other, i put him in a sling and he used his other to hold himself up, he fell asleep for a bit on it but he tried to jump out so i took it out, hoping he recovers but it’s hard to say since i don’t know what’s wrong with his leg:confused:

Do you have a live trap? That's what I use whenever I see ferals roaming around my house, whether I see them paying too much attention to my chickens or not. Getting neutered/spayed, vaccinated, and wormed while hanging out in my garage recovering always seems to make them want to avoid my place, mwa hahahaha

Do you have a live trap? That's what I use whenever I see ferals roaming around my house, whether I see them paying too much attention to my chickens or not. Getting neutered/spayed, vaccinated, and wormed while hanging out in my garage recovering always seems to make them want to avoid my place, mwa hahahaha
Haha, my adult chickens grew up around my main cat smoky, he used to follow them everywhere while they dug so they trust the cats and think they won’t hurt them, that’s what i saw with the cat and the chick when she was outside, she didn’t expect the attack since she thought the cats wouldn’t attack, as to the cat situation, ive been trying to get rid of them, i’m sensitive towards animals so i didn’t wanna kill em or anything so i called shelters around & they said to call animal control, it’s sad having to put them in shelters since they’ll rarely get adopted but they said it’s possible they might become community cats, or put in programs, i’m fine with anything as long as they’re not being tortured or killing my chicks :)

Another question, have you seen chicks with leg injuries recover? it’s hard to tell you what the damage is but there doesn’t appear to be bruising, blood or swelling but he can’t support himself on that foot & he has his fingers curled in, i read about making him a splinter buuuuut i don’t know if his leg is broken or anything, i’m gonna give him a couple days to see how his leg is doing, any suggestions on how to care for him?

Haha, my adult chickens grew up around my main cat smoky, he used to follow them everywhere while they dug so they trust the cats and think they won’t hurt them, that’s what i saw with the cat and the chick when she was outside, she didn’t expect the attack since she thought the cats wouldn’t attack, as to the cat situation, ive been trying to get rid of them, i’m sensitive towards animals so i didn’t wanna kill em or anything so i called shelters around & they said to call animal control, it’s sad having to put them in shelters since they’ll rarely get adopted but they said it’s possible they might become community cats, or put in programs, i’m fine with anything as long as they’re not being tortured or killing my chicks :)

Another question, have you seen chicks with leg injuries recover? it’s hard to tell you what the damage is but there doesn’t appear to be bruising, blood or swelling but he can’t support himself on that foot & he has his fingers curled in, i read about making him a splinter buuuuut i don’t know if his leg is broken or anything, i’m gonna give him a couple days to see how his leg is doing, any suggestions on how to care for him?

Yeah, they can recover from leg injuries. I'd at least keep them isolated, maybe put them in a sling or some kind of support so they can work out the leg that's fine without making the other one worse. You'll need to make sure they're getting the food and water they need if they can't move on their own or even if they're just having difficulty doing so. Put electrolytes (something like save a chick I think it's called) in their water to give them a boost while they heal.

Back
Top Bottom