Cat Bit Me?

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
I've had my cats for years. All of them are sweet. They go outside and walk along me when I do yard work and take care of the animals. And they are snuggly inside, sometimes jumping into my arms or onto my shoulder (...like a Pikachu.)

Today, my oldest tomcat was in my lap, purring and enjoying some attention- then, without any notable warning, he jumped up, curled around the back of my neck, claws digging into one of my shoulders... and he BIT the back of my neck. It wasn't hard, it didn't draw blood, but I definitely felt teeth.

I immediately pulled him off and put him down, and he's been laying around like a lazy cat ever since.

Why did my cat randomly bite me?

Sounds like he got overstimulated by the petting. Some cats are really sensitive to touch, and will bite as a response. If he's not neutered, I'd recommend that asap. Even neutered/spayed cats can get overstimulated, though. Sometimes it is petting "too long" sometimes location, such as petting on the rump or even just the back, can be the trigger.

I was petting from his head to his back. He's never acted like that before. I don't quite understand the behavior. Is neutering necessary?
It's actually fairly common. When cats mate, the male will grab the female by the back of the neck. I think what your guy did was because he got excited by the petting. I've known more than one dog that will start air humping if you pet it past the shoulder area. Animals will act like animals, after all.

A male cat will attract a female cat in heat from a very long distance. People ditch cats everywhere and I guarantee there are female cats around even if they are not yours.

Cats can get over stimulated when they are pet. It can happen in neutered or not neutered males.

I would definitely recommend getting all of your cats fixed so that they are not creating more cats with strays. There are so many cats in this world that don't have homes because they're not fixed.

I can set an appointment if neutering is necessary.
Not necessary, but I think it is wise. Spraying, fighting are behaviors that can be preempted if you do it soon enough. Once it starts, it usually continues, even if they are neutered. Your choice, obviously, but I would asap, if they were mine. Look around for a low cost clinic, sometimes it can be as low as $10, if you're lucky. Average is about $25.

If you call a veterinarian and their price is too high, you might even ask if they know of any 'at cost' clinics, since you need to have several cats 'fixed', and it would put a major dent in your wallet. A bit cheeky? Yes. Possibly worth the effort? You betcha.
Most veterinarians and all shelters are strongly in favor of spaying and neutering. I think they would be happy to answer this question. Their objective is to reduce the amount of unwanted babies. I know in OP's situation there isn't much risk of babies, but having worked at the Humane Society before, I can tell you they think all cats and dogs are at risk of creating unwanted babies, unless they are spayed or neutered. Humane Society will know where the cheapest place is if they don't do it themselves.

Back
Top Bottom