Cat Bit Me?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by WallyBirdie, Sep 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. WallyBirdie

WallyBirdie Songster

Aug 2, 2019
    I've had my cats for years. All of them are sweet. They go outside and walk along me when I do yard work and take care of the animals. And they are snuggly inside, sometimes jumping into my arms or onto my shoulder (...like a Pikachu.)

Today, my oldest tomcat was in my lap, purring and enjoying some attention- then, without any notable warning, he jumped up, curled around the back of my neck, claws digging into one of my shoulders... and he BIT the back of my neck. It wasn't hard, it didn't draw blood, but I definitely felt teeth.

I immediately pulled him off and put him down, and he's been laying around like a lazy cat ever since.

Why did my cat randomly bite me?

2. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Free Ranging

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Has he been neutered?

sourland, WallyBirdie and townchicks like this.
  3. townchicks

townchicks Free Ranging

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    Sounds like he got overstimulated by the petting. Some cats are really sensitive to touch, and will bite as a response. If he's not neutered, I'd recommend that asap. Even neutered/spayed cats can get overstimulated, though. Sometimes it is petting "too long" sometimes location, such as petting on the rump or even just the back, can be the trigger.

4. WallyBirdie

WallyBirdie Songster

Aug 2, 2019
    No, he hasn't. It didn't seem necessary. No female cats and he isn't aggressive towards the other cats/animals.

townchicks and ValerieJ like this.
  5. WallyBirdie

WallyBirdie Songster

Aug 2, 2019
    I was petting from his head to his back. He's never acted like that before. I don't quite understand the behavior. Is neutering necessary?
    I understood about populating becoming a problem. I usually do get my animals fixed (because my neighbors tend to let their cats roam), but it hasn't been an issue. No females in the area.

BigBlueHen53 likes this.
  6. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Free Ranging

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Then I would say he was overstimulated. I highly recommend neutering him. Unneutered cats can also start spraying in your house if anything makes them think they are losing their territory. This can happen with any male cat, but is more common when they are not neutered.

7. townchicks

townchicks Free Ranging

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    Well, I think it would be helpful in this case. You also say "oldest tomcat" does that mean you have younger males? Eventually, there may be fighting amongst them, even without females around.

8. townchicks

townchicks Free Ranging

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    It's actually fairly common. When cats mate, the male will grab the female by the back of the neck. I think what your guy did was because he got excited by the petting. I've known more than one dog that will start air humping if you pet it past the shoulder area. Animals will act like animals, after all.

9. WallyBirdie

WallyBirdie Songster

Aug 2, 2019
    The cats are all close in age. I had their mother cat for years. So three of the cats are brothers and the forth was rescued.
    I can set an appointment if neutering is necessary. But I'll probably wait til after Christmas.

BigBlueHen53 and ValerieJ like this.
  10. townchicks

townchicks Free Ranging

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    Not necessary, but I think it is wise. Spraying, fighting are behaviors that can be preempted if you do it soon enough. Once it starts, it usually continues, even if they are neutered. Your choice, obviously, but I would asap, if they were mine. Look around for a low cost clinic, sometimes it can be as low as $10, if you're lucky. Average is about $25.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: