Cat food as a treat? Right or wrong?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AllenK RGV, Oct 17, 2018.

1. AllenK RGV

AllenK RGV Chicken Addict

upload_2018-10-17_10-28-0.png
    @KikisGirls you are the only "nutrition expert" that I know. I do have some concerns over the added calcium here as none of my hens are laying yet and I have a rooster that loves cat food lunchables as well. The flock is primarily a free ranging one.

Does anyone have concerns who could address this question?

KikisGirls likes this.
  2. AllenK RGV

AllenK RGV Chicken Addict

I wanted to add more info here I feed this randomly and never more than an ounce at a time on a weekly basis. So nobody should get the idea I am throwing this out by the cupful, as I want them free ranging vs hanging around for handouts.

KikisGirls likes this.
  3. ChickenPalace123

ChickenPalace123 Chirping

Feb 1, 2018
    if you aren't having a problem go for it. i put cat food out for my birds and a bear crashed the fence (no birds hurt or killed thank god) to get the cat food so i personally won't do that again. if you dont have a preadator problem when you feed them cat food its fine

KikisGirls and AllenK RGV like this.
  4. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    N.W. Missouri
    Our chickens eat dogfood, and they are just fine. We also free range.

KikisGirls and AllenK RGV like this.
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I refuse to feed chicken to chickens, just because. That's my main issue with feeding them cat food even as a treat. Then, it's much more expensive than chicken food, and I'd rather feed a better poultry feed all the time instead.
    My birds would love it, and sometimes raided the barn cat's food if I didn't guard him during his meals.
    Mary

KikisGirls and Aceoky like this.
  6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Don't lie. Don't cheat your way through life.

:frow I see no problem feeding a small amount once a week as a treat.
    The one percent calcium level is probably close to the same as the average one percent in chick feed.

webbysmeme likes this.
  7. webbysmeme

webbysmeme Songster

I have 15 hens, I give then a small can of high quality cat food once or twice a week, mixed with other threats. They love it. I'm getting 12-13 eggs a day! They are wonderful.

KikisGirls likes this.
  8. webbysmeme

webbysmeme Songster

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: