cat havings kitten - need help asap! *UPDATE PLEASE HELP AGAIN!*

this may be too late, but try VIGOROUSLY rubbing it with a towel. softly won't help as much. you can also support its back and kinda fling it forward and downward in your hands (this is really hard to describe, sorry) - the goal is to force any liquid out of the air passages without hurting the kitten.

but sometimes, they're just stillborn, and no amount of intervention will help. with such a young mother, who is small and inexperienced and was carrying a lot of kittens, there may have just been one baby that wasn't strong enough, and that's not your fault.

i dont know how long it was there before i found it, maybe an hour not sure. is it possible to save it? ive been rubbing on it about 30-40 mins and have it infront of a heating lamp now.. would its tongue be blue if it were dead? its pink but no reflex or movement or breathing

Last edited:
also, the one with the umbilical cord, leave it alone for now and see if mom will take care of it. the less intervening the better, otherwise mom might get stressed. you can make them bleed too much if you cut it too short, so call a vet to ask what to do if it doesn't resolve itself.

if it's been that long, unfortunately, the baby is probably gone =/ you could try the extra-vigorous rubbing and the flinging motion and see if that helps... are there ANY signs of life? but i wouldn't hold much hope for that one if it's been more than 40 minutes.
sad.png

To bad the kitten snuck out..was she to young for a safe pregnancy. Im saying a prayer for you.. sorry i dont have much experience with kittens either.

Try softly blowing in the ones face, I have revived puppies that way, along with rubbing and flinging. If she does not take care of the umbilical, you can tie it off a little ways from the body and clip below that.

well i gave up on the little guy, he just wasnt showing me any life.
sad.png
i hated to give up but i felt bad after a while to keep rubbing and trying to save his lifeless little body. mama is doing good, she came out from the box for a while, i was worried she didnt care to go back, and then dh put her back in there and she stayed. all 5 look lively, hope she does ok from here on out! thanks everyone for your help i appreciate it!

hugs.gif

I know it's hard to loose 'em. I just found a stray that had kittens 7 days later. She birthed 3 and 2 survived. We burried the other baby out back with all our other critters...cats, hamsters, ferrets, and birds...

4 is a lot...that will keep that mama busy.

Last edited:
My cat was a drop off and we didn't know she was a she till she was very fat. She chose a place in the shed ot have her babies and it was in a puddle right under the only place rain could come in. And it was cold. So I bought her and the kittens in and put them in a box with a towl on the bottom. I put a bowl of cat food and water and a little box in that room. She hardly ever came out of the room and when she did she stayed by the door. She was a very good mother but she was older. We had her for a year before she came up pregnant.

She's fixed now and somebody sure missed out on a good cat. What a hunter she is and she don't bother my chicks.

Back
Top Bottom