Cat Help - Litter Box Trouble

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Equest94, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    I have a [female] domestic short hair cat. She's going to be 16 year old in February. Yes, I know she's quite an old lady now, but health-wise she's doing really well. Vet checks are good.

Lately, I noticed a small issue with her. She has been peeing outside her litter box. I clean the box regularly and make sure there's enough litter in there; I just have no idea what the problem is. She doesn't go anywhere in the house, which is good, she sticks to using the box, but it seems like she doesn't completely get in it... I bought various types of litter boxes within the past few months and cannot seem to find one that contains her. I had the regular pan/tub, the box with the high sides that curve in at the top, and now have a dome... She still manages to keep her tail-end out or over the edge... I just have no idea what to do.

She always was great about going and this problem just recently developed. I'm not sure if it's a "age related" thing or if she's just being 'lazy'... She poops inside just fine, it' just seems to be a urination thing...

Any suggestion on what kind of litter box to use or any ideas of what her problem may be?

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    This is sometimes a sign of a urinary tract infection or another type of infection. Call the vet?

Best of luck to ya.

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    She may just be too old to know she's missing the box or maybe just can't get in it. When my Beansy was 17, I had the same problem with him. At first, he just started peeing right outside his box then shortly thereafter, just peed where ever he wanted...not because he wanted to, but just because he was so old and couldn't control himself anymore. He lost control of his bowels and started losing his eyesight...

That may be what's going on with her...she has lived a full life at 16. Best of luck to her and you. Maybe you could just use a shorter cardboard box with a liner...maybe something she doesn't have to climb into.

4. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    Call your vet and talk to them see if you can't run a blood panel. Check those kidneys and check for a uti. Also running a full blood workup now will give you a baseline for when her health really starts going down hill. You will know when the time is right to give her your last gift of love. Good luck and I hope everything is ok for the old girl.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, at her age she's entitled to maybe not quite be paying as much attention... [​IMG] Arthritis or other discomfort is also a possibility.

That said, I think it *would* be worth taking her in for urinalysis or even maybe a basic blood panel if you can swing it, since it *could* be a sign of something you'd wnat to know about and take action on.

Good luck to both of you [​IMG],

Pat

6. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Our kitty is prone to bladder crystals and we now know that peeing outside her box is the first sign something is up with her. I agree with the others that a visit to the vet is worthwhile. Good luck I hope she is okay.

7. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    It could be an 'old kitty' thing. Our 16-17 year old calico

started doing that, it leaked and got ALL OVER the floor

and walls [​IMG] We starteed putting a plastic

garbage bag up around the sides to keep it from

leaking, but we never solved the actual problem [​IMG] She

stays on the (enclosed) porch now...not really allowed INSIDE

the house anymore. only on accasions [​IMG]

8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:I only read the first post

I had a 19 year old cat who started to do the same thing
    Came to the conclusion that she jsut had arthritis in her back legs and could not lift into the litterbox

SOLUTION - Doggie wee wee pads scattered around the litterbox, underneath, next to in the corner, etc. It worked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by