cat in the brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thechickman04, Mar 19, 2008.

1. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    i was in the garage last night feeding my chicks and just watching them....it got late so i decided to go inside....i forgot to put the top back on:(....i went to bed and woke up this morning to see the top off the brooder and my cat inside....i thought i would find a dead chick but she was just laying under heat lamps keeping warm....some of the chicks were even roosting on her back:D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Thats great! Good thing you have a cat who understands that chicks are yours.

3. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    yea i know i let her play with them when they go in the yard on warm days so she kinda knows what they are

4. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Wow! That's awesome! My sweet cats are great with the rabbits and chickens, but they look at the chicks like they want a bite sized treat.

5. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    I have 3 Kittys that could care less:
    [​IMG]
    One of whom thinks they're his BFF's:
    [​IMG]
    Glad your kitty was well behaved! My other kitty (not pictured) thinks they are food, and is always shut in a room when they are out.

6. erin3

erin3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Coronado, CA
    my cat, who is very old but quite the hunter.........i was worried that he would be the first one after the babies.............also sleeps under my coop. when he is not under it he is lying in front of it just watching them............kind of sweet and makes me like him more.

7. amaliayosa

amaliayosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my gosh, that is just too sweet. Not sure what my cats would do if I introduced them to the chicks.

8. Hi!
    My cat. Streak, will knock the lid off a brooder (if he gets the chance) to lay under the light --- the strangest thing.
    Doesn't pay the chicks much mind except "Get outta my way, I'd like to stretch out here!".
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

9. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    My three cats have been sitting at the door to my daughters room where the chicks are just waiting for a chance to sneak in. I don't think they would consider the chicks friends...more like lunch. I can't be sure but I am not going to chance it.

I even had to change the doorknob to a round turn handle. I had the fancy long lever type handle and my cats all learned how to use it and can open doors themselves. Had to make sure my first little hatch was safe and sound while I am at work!

10. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I don't understand cats. The three I have are scared of my older chickens. They let the chicks walk all over them but they terrorize and try to catch the wild birds.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by