Cat killing my chickens

I just experienced this a few days ago when an orange tomcat killed my sweetest girl, she was my pet & an emotional support chicken . I feel heartbroken, angry, & currently powerless.
There are many cats that have come & gone in my area over the years, & none have been a big problem until this jerk showed up (causes fights w/ other cats too). It seems to come from a neighbor’s yard but acts feral, I should probably check w/ them first before taking action. My next door neighbor is furious at the cat & wants to make it “disappear”

Last edited:
I just experienced this a few days ago when an orange tomcat killed my sweetest girl, she was my pet & an emotional support chicken . I feel heartbroken, angry, & currently powerless.
There are many cats that have come & gone in my area over the years, & none have been a big problem until this jerk showed up (causes fights w/ other cats too). It seems to come from a neighbor’s yard but acts feral, I should probably check w/ them first before taking action. My next door neighbor is furious at the cat & wants to make it “disappear”
I am so sorry about your sweet girl. It's so heartbreaking...
:hugs

A feral showed up at my place a year ago and proceeded to eat several chicks. I eventually managed to get it into a trap. While I generally don't want to kill cats, if they are eating your chicks, they will come back and eat until there is nothing left. As always, there are only 2 solutions. Either keep your birds in a predator proof coop and run or get rid of the predator.

We have two cats. Whenever we have chicks, we protect them diligently from the cats until they are about six weeks old and don't look quite so much like "baby birds." I would not trust ANY cat not to act like a predator around such a tasty morsel. But once they have some size to them, look more like CHICKENS, and are being integrated with the flock, the cats show no interest in them. For those who have lost chicks and/or chickens to domestic or feral cats, I am truly sorry for your losses.

I posted last week about my chicken was killed by a tomcat. Sadly yesterday a neighbor’s duckling was snatched by another tomcat that’s been around lately. It’s becoming a problem

Back
Top Bottom