cat litter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jonbanks

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
can i put cat litter in my coop or how bout srinkle baking soda in my chicken coop im not buy D E thats too expensive!

I wouldn't, I would be afraid they would peck and eat at it. Would cause their crops to impact quickly.

Try Dry Stall or Sweet PDZ mixed in with pine shavings.

Once cat litter gets wet (at least the clay type) you'll be sorry you used it!
sad.png

I use it under the roosts (non-clumping kind) to dry the droppings, but it is completely enclosed by fencing so they can't get into it.
One of the stall products I looked at contained the same ingredient, just ground finely.

If you are going to use cat litter in your coop I would suggest that you use only the "Worlds Best Cat Litter". Available at Pet Co, Pet Smart, and other pet supply stores.

Are you having some type of problem in your coop that you are trying to solve? Or is it just that you think you are supposed to use something else in the litter? Although some people choose to add things to their litter, none of those products are necessary in a coop, although DE can be useful if you are treating an active case of external parasites.

Other than that, problems with litter in a coop are usually due to not using enough litter, using a litter that's not absorbent enough, or needing to clean out or add more litter, depending on whether or not you are using the deep litter method.

It would help to know what problem you're trying to resolve.

I tried Dry Stall for the first time a couple weeks ago and it is wonderful. Keeps the bedding dry and really cuts down on the aroma! and I only used 3-4 cups! I got mine at TSC, a 24# bag was about $9.

Back
Top Bottom